AmandaH

• Experienced Member
Re: caring for ex battery hens
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 10:41 »
Olives?  :D

Foxy

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 10:47 »
A  little tinned tuna is fine, just make sure that it is in spring water, as some of the tinned versions are rather salty :)
You could add a little chopped egg, mmmmmn I do like a nice nicoise salad myself Madcat! :D

Arnfields

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 11:08 »
Our ladies have been with us almost 4 weeks now and there are definate signs of new feather growth, mainly on the baldest girls.  Matilda had knickers on but Jemima had the pinkest little booty.

Jemima is currently looking somewhat like a hedgehog as the new feathers start to peek through on her back and thighs, can't wait to see what colour she will be!

They have been fed briefly on ex-batt feed, then onto layers pellets but with the veg patch to roam in they have had plenty of greens since day one.  Haven't tried them with any supplements as yet, other than a little poultry spice a couple of days ago - they seem to be doing quite well on worms and caterpillars!  ;)
1 lovely hubby, 3 dogs, a bunny and 7 ex batts and a shiny new lottie!  (so far)

Foxy

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 11:11 »
Our ladies have been with us almost 4 weeks now and there are definate signs of new feather growth, mainly on the baldest girls.  Matilda had knickers on but Jemima had the pinkest little booty.

Jemima is currently looking somewhat like a hedgehog as the new feathers start to peek through on her back and thighs, can't wait to see what colour she will be!

They have been fed briefly on ex-batt feed, then onto layers pellets but with the veg patch to roam in they have had plenty of greens since day one.  Haven't tried them with any supplements as yet, other than a little poultry spice a couple of days ago - they seem to be doing quite well on worms and caterpillars!  ;)

sounds like they are doing fine as they are, I wouldn't bother with supplements just yet. :)
I do use apple cider vinegar in my chooks water though. :)

Arnfields

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2009, 11:35 »
Can I use any cider vinegar - have some in the kitchen and wondering if ok to use?

markandsue

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2009, 17:55 »
Oh markandsue, wish I could be like you.  Concise and to the point, no waffling  :D

A good thing to do is to feed your ex bats their eggs, you need to cook them. Scramble the egg and crush the shell in as well. You can mix up a little porridge and honey with it.

I would also recommend you keep them away from a cockerel until they are healthy.

Hens do eat meat by the way, they love frogs. Put a few logs in their run, assuming that's how you keep them, and from time to time roll the logs so they can get at the grubs. Dig up some worms, hens love them.

You will find that you will lose some of your hens due to shock, some just give up because the change is too much for them.

Bed them down on straw it will help keep them warm.

Give them as much room as you can.

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2009, 19:58 »
Oh yes, sure hens eat meat - I know they like frogs and obviously eat bugs and worms in the garden...

I think I was just worried about giving them processed meat like cat food.

And I'm not letting any old brute of a cockerel anywhere near my girls.  They are retired.  Last thing they need is some bloke hassling them all the time!  :D

I like the idea of porridge though, especially on chilly mornings.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2009, 11:06 »
Had our 8 ex batts now almost 3 months.
Most have regrown beautiful feathers on a good balanced diet of ex batt pellets with corn and treats in the afternoon.  Used poultry sprice to start with, and they have garlic powder in their water (it really does reduce the smell of the poo - honest, I've tried it with and without, and it does work)
But I still have one, Tilly the Hun, still very much lacking anything in the way of an overcoat, and looks like she's been buried for a week and then dug up again.
Not worried in the slightest, she's fit, active and happy..............However, I do have a knitting pattern for a sweater ::), and with winter approaching am seriously considering getting the needles out!

helenp

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2009, 11:14 »
thanks everyone for your help going to get some poultry spice and am giving them garlic as have loads from the allotment.
 :) :)

xx
Battery Hens

Started by jorj on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 19, 2008, 12:45
by kattcottrell
xx
PRE EX-Battery hens

Started by sorrel on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 24, 2007, 16:36
by sorrel
xx
Please help, im looking for 3 ex-battery hens

Started by muddypaws on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 28, 2011, 12:16
by pigeonpie
xx
battery hens

Started by karenn on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2007, 20:21
by karenn

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 39 queries.