MY lawn !!!!§

• 15 Replies

mrs bouquet

MY lawn !!!!§
« on: August 31, 2020, 17:08 »
I am so fed up with this.   I sacrificed it today and then mowed it.  DOn,t know what to do next
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Fairy Plotmother

Re: MY lawn !!!!§
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 17:17 »
I would give it a good watering with a feed.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 17:23 »
It'll grow back once we get enough rain, Mrs B. Don't worry!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 20:25 »
Oh dear,  I didn't really sacrifice it    :ohmy:   I scarified it  :lol:  Mrs Bouquet

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 20:52 »
Oh dear,  I didn't really sacrifice it    :ohmy:   I scarified it  :lol:  Mrs Bouquet

Love that Mrs. B.!  :lol:

Lawns are incredibly tolerant of poor conditions, including drought - it will recover with a bit more rain, although it might not be 100% grass!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 11:35 »
I would give it a good watering with a feed.

I have been looking at the various lawn feeds etc.  What a selection,   any recommendations as to what variety I buy.  Thanks,  Mrs B
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 14:10 by mrs bouquet »

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 13:32 »
I'd just mow over it again to get rid of the bits of left-over stalks then get an autumn lawn feed which is high in potassium and potash. This will perk up the grass to produce stolons that will spread over the bare patches.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 14:48 »
I don't think it's a good idea to feed the lawn, at least wait until we've had a decent amount of rain, to rewet it thoroughly
RHS says
Care for lawns after drought
The autumn after a dry summer is the ideal time to carry out renovation and repair. This will help the lawn to recover from recent drought but will also make it more drought resistant the following year.
Over-seed any sparsely-grassed areas using an appropriate mixture. See our advice on lawn care: spring and summer for more on doing this.

Do not use lawn weedkillers or feeds on drought-affected turf in autumn. Delay treatments until the following spring, when the grass and weeds are growing vigorously.
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=417

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 15:49 »
I don't think it's a good idea to feed the lawn, at least wait until we've had a decent amount of rain, to rewet it thoroughly
RHS says
Care for lawns after drought
The autumn after a dry summer is the ideal time to carry out renovation and repair. This will help the lawn to recover from recent drought but will also make it more drought resistant the following year.
Over-seed any sparsely-grassed areas using an appropriate mixture. See our advice on lawn care: spring and summer for more on doing this.

Do not use lawn weedkillers or feeds on drought-affected turf in autumn. Delay treatments until the following spring, when the grass and weeds are growing vigorously.
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=417
My area is not suffering the effects of drought lately!!! Shower just started right on cue. 🤣
I will be giving my lawn a bit of a rake then a mow then an autumn feed. The ground is warm and damp, so should be ok in my case.

grinling

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2020, 16:57 »
I cut my lawn with a longer cut to keep the weeds down

mrs bouquet

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2020, 18:14 »

I would do that as well, but the height adjuster on my mower is unmoveable by me  It is now on a low setting and has to stay there sadly .   Mrs B

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2020, 09:00 »

I would do that as well, but the height adjuster on my mower is unmoveable by me  It is now on a low setting and has to stay there sadly .   Mrs B

Do you have a neighbor that might be able to help you with the height adjustment? Mowers set too low (for too short a cut) can harm your lawn.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2020, 10:33 »
Looking at those photos Mrs B, I'd also suggest having a look at dry patch on lawns, particularly if you're on a sandy soil. There's some advice on the RHS here:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=746

G&R

mrs bouquet

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2020, 16:10 »
Thanks G & R, that is an interesting read.   I shall try to spike it this week.   I think there are some tree roots under it as well, which makes it harder to spike, and I expect they take up alot of the water in the lawn.   I shall keep on working on it.    regards   Mrs Bouquet

jezza

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2020, 12:09 »
Hello you've scarified it it now needs spiking /hollow tining( if lawn big enough (see if local sports club has a Vertidrainer) offer them a few home made cakes ,then it needs a top dressing of soil peat mix rubbing in put some phostrogen in to mix then seed any bare patches,this ones a scaryfier the lawns are scared when this goes in   jezza
Photo0038.jpg

xx
What was in my lawn?

Started by whistler on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post December 31, 2007, 10:35
by Selkie
xx
My new lawn

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post July 09, 2019, 18:33
by hasbeans
xx
Should I lay a new lawn?

Started by plum crumble on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post February 28, 2011, 21:56
by iggyboy60
xx
lawn help

Started by dmg on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post March 16, 2014, 10:52
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 56 queries.