Student, Academic Year Possibilities - Please help :)

• 11 Replies

charliefoths89

Hi there! I am renting my first house for the next academic year (September until July/August) and would love to grow my own edible crops during the year as I'm really into cooking and have grown a few herbs and simple veggies in the past.

My big problem is that the academic year is very much NOT spring-spring but autumn-autumn, and next autumn I'm moving to another country. So what are possibilities of things I can grow from now onwards that I can eat by next summer? Perhaps I can begin growing indoors? I'd love it if some experienced gardeners had ideas.

Thank you for reading  :)

chris.selvey

Re: Student, Academic Year Possibilities - Please help :)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 18:11 »
How about trying some winter potatoes? They can be planted around the end of this month or start of next month and can be harvest at Christmas.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 18:55 »
I'd recommend you start them off sooner than that, probably - don't forget that day length and temperatures are now on the decline, so leaving it till September only gives a few weeks of growing time
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

madcat

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 19:13 »
And in the spring you can grow leaves and lettaces and spring onions - starting them inside if we get a cold spring.  Peas will be done too by the time you leave, so you could do them.  Salad carrots, radish etc ...  A few Early potatoes would go well in the last few weeks of term with your salads.

Garlic over winters but would be ready to lift just as you leave - scratch that one. 

Where are you?  How far south?
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

polly nator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 10:20 »
Howabout some Swiss Chard - rainbow swiss chard looks very pretty too. It germinates easily, grows fast and is cut and come again. You would be able to get  crops well before the time you leave. And pests seem to leave it alone.

Also basket tomatoes (not the other types though) . I had some this year which began ripening really early, June, even though they were outdoors and up north (N Yorkshire)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 14:17 »
You could sow some spring cabbage in modules, ready to transplant when you arrive,
 and pak choi would be easy to transplant too  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

kingdhesiii

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 14:55 »
What are some nice types of Christmas spuds to get and can you buy them anywhere for a reasonable price.?

Isnt there a guy on here who sells them?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 15:18 by kingdhesiii »
Woooooooooooooo

hillfooter

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 15:43 »
When I was a student rarely a week went by without a curry so how about a few chillis.  However when you are student gardening should be low on the priority list of activities though sowing a few wild oats is probably OK in moderation.
HF
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 15:47 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

Babstreefern

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 16:27 »
Try Kohl Rabi - I tried it this year, and it was lovely, and they don't take long from starting to harvesting.  I'll be doing it again next year. :D
Babs

Starling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 17:42 »
Am I right in thinking you will want to start growing in September?  Do you know how much indoor/outdoor space you will have?  As it is rented will you need to grow in pots?

Sorry more in the way of questions then answers at the moment :D

charliefoths89

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 20:44 »
Wow, fantastic advice here! A world of possibilities, and I will make a list and try some.

In answer to where I am based - Coventry, in a rented house, so I'm planning both window pots and was thinking some old fruit crates or something and pots to make beds in the back yard, as then they are removable.

I think salad-items are a really good idea, because they come up quickly (have been growing a mixed leaf salad on my window a couple of years and its great) and there are some interesting ideas here. Also, what happily grows indoors? Can i grow strawberry plants on my windowsill, and can I grow salad-type things indoors during winter months? Sorry, I know very little about gardening!

More ideas welcome, thanks so far, really pleased  :D

Ps. Hillfooter - yes, I know it seems a bit odd student gardening, but personally i need something to do that is -not- studying to keep me sane, and currently too much time is wasted on facebook when i could be doing something better! :)

Matthew Gayles

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 09:13 »
try some lambs lettuce, its a salad leaf that actually grows well in the winter and flavour improves with the cold. You could get some large pots and plant some broad beans in month or so and hopefully you could have beans by may - june? I grew strawberries in pots last year on a wall and they were really good but they are very thirsty so you would have to work on a way to keep then waterd while your out sowing the oats/ getting hammered/ sleeping and oh yes .... studying? i joke.

xx
Help a student gardener design a planter

Started by Uni Gem on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 20, 2008, 22:13
by Aunt Sally
xx
Calling all allotment helpers, please help university student

Started by allotmentstudentyork on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 09, 2012, 10:57
by arugula
xx
Help a student gardener 2 ( Uni project research) Back AGAIN

Started by Uni Gem on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post October 30, 2008, 21:17
by gobs
xx
Mistakes you make year after year after year

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post May 07, 2022, 22:37
by Rob the rake

Page created in 0.369 seconds with 38 queries.