the red tractor?

• 6 Replies

rowlandwells

the red tractor?
« on: March 16, 2020, 12:04 »
i recently wrote a topic that was to do with farmers producing food that included a para on the assurance we had with buying with the red tractor logo and as i thought this was something that followed strict guidelines especially animal welfare

now i have to make somewhat of an apology to those who red this blog because  i was under the impression that the red tractor logo was something connected with  government body IE DEFRA and how wrong was i because following the countryfile program on the television last night i find out its part of a farmer scheme funded by farmers

now after all that what i was most concerned about was the lack of policing animal welfare by those involved to monitor the red tractor scheme and it showed some really bad treatment of animals by some farmers signed up to the red tractor scheme and that those involved policing this where professional veterinary people

one vet that was involved in the red tractor scheme employed to monitor and report any failure on the part of some farmers not complying with the red tractor scheme that recommend they should be  taken of the scheme if they didn't  comply with the animal welfare standards

but because this scheme is run and funded by farmers any such recommendations would end up with that vet being removed from that job basically holding a gun to there head which i think is wrong

as you may have gathered i feel very passionate about animal welfare particularly those animals reared for the table these animals should be reared to welfare standards and those not complying to these standards should be brought to task

i once again my apologies for this long and lengthy topic but i felt i had given our members some incorrect  information thank you for taking the time to read this blog RW

GraciesGran

Re: the red tractor?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 15:22 »
I saw that last night, makes you wonder if any of these schemes are reliable.

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 20:12 »
In Wales we have FAWL farm assured welsh lamb. the rules are good farming sense which most farmers employ. they care for their animals as best that they can after all that is the business profit/income

grinling

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 23:34 »
DEFRA does not visit very often and gives notice when they do.
Speed limit on lorries increased apart from when carrying livestock, pity the drivers take no notice. Simple to check, but the abattoir does not.

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 16:30 »
i agree greenjay you can't beat a cut of welsh lamb and having visited West Wales for many years and stayed on welsh farms that's  very true what you say rearing animals is part and parcel of the welsh farming community and long may it be so

forgive me grinling but I'm not sure where your coming from on that reply i understand the DEFRA  bit but not quite up to what the rest of the reply means a bit more info if poss please

grinling

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 16:12 »
Red tractor farm welfare, but animals become stressed on the way to the abbatoir. The are regulations for transporting animals, temperature, distance and speed. Where an animal might be well treated at a farm, they are stressed when going to be killed, lorries need to be checked to make sure animal welfare is not ignored.

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 18:17 »
i can see where your coming from now grinling and your absolutely rite what your saying although there are some good drivers that carry animals there are also dodo drivers that would be better driving refuse lorries

some years ago i was working for a haulage company who transported cattle from farms to market and market to abattoirs  i was previously on the general haulage  caring everything that needed roping and sheeting

but then the manager put me on  cattle transport with the promise of a new lorry if i would go on the cattle i hated it i  i had a three deck cattle lorry what a job putting those big sheep on the top deck that was open to the weather going down the motorway with sheep looking out on the top deck i had enough of livestock transport  and told them its back on the general haulage or find another yourself another driver i had my new lorry and went back on the general haulage side

in those days the cattle stood together and sometimes they fell over in the back of the truck although i was a steady driver as i understand these days cattle is penned of separately  in the lorry or trailer making it better for transporting animals travelling long distances animals should have water by law there are many laws for drivers carrying animals today and heavy fines for those not complying to animal welfare laws and so be it

needless to say I ended up most of my driving career the last 38 yrs on tankers and curtain sided trailers with another company never missed the roping and sheeting of loads or transporting animals   >:(

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 45 queries.