Help me choose a white runner bean

• 7 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Help me choose a white runner bean
« on: May 02, 2022, 15:41 »
The last few years I've had real problems with germinating White Lady runner beans, so thought I'd try a different variety.
To that end I seem to have 2 varieties, Moonlight which is one of those crossed with French beans and White Emergo a 'proper' runner bean.
What are your experience of these, if any, which would you grow? I really don't think I could squeeze in both  :(
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 15:42 by mumofstig »

lettice

Re: Help me choose a white runner bean
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 16:20 »
Not ever grown white flowered runner beans Myself.
But a neighbour grows Moonlight and has for sometime.
The flowers are all white.
He says they are productive and produce a tasty short bean about 6-8 inches long.

I used to grow for many years Painted lady, that had white and pink flowers, saving me seed.
They always grew well, but were a short bean of only 6-8 inches.
But last few years have grown Scarlet Empire (an improved Scarlet Emperor), red flowers.
They are very tasty and all the beans grew to 12-14 inches long.
They are incredibly productive too right up till early November here.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 18:56 »
We’ve grown White Lady for years without any problems. 

Sometimes we’ve  sown them in situ. and sometimes started in root trainers.

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 19:51 »
Moonlight has done well for us, as have Lidl's runner bean seeds (which are a white-flowered French climbing bean).

I've quite often needed to re-sow to fill the gaps, or start them off in the greenhouse; bean seed fly can take quite a few of the seeds/seedlings, but once they've got past that stage they do fine.

G&R

Rob the rake

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 21:05 »
Moonlight has done well for us, as have Lidl's runner bean seeds (which are a white-flowered French climbing bean).

I've quite often needed to re-sow to fill the gaps, or start them off in the greenhouse; bean seed fly can take quite a few of the seeds/seedlings, but once they've got past that stage they do fine.

G&R

Is bean seed fly a more southerly phenomenon? I confess to not having heard of it.
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

jaydig

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2022, 23:50 »
I tried Moonlight when they first came out and I have grown them each year since.  Sometimes I also grow a red runner bean, but they don't compare well with Moonlight. The seed germinates extremely well, even from your own saved seed.  The crops are heavy, the beans a little thicker than a standard runner and they freeze very well.  I just slice them, pack them and throw them in the freezer - no blanching.  When cooking the frozen beans I bring a pan of water to a fast boil, add salt and a pinch of bi-carb, then cook the beans in rapidly boiling water until almost done, drain them into a colander, put the pan lid on top of them and them steam them over the pan they were boiled in.  Almost as good as fresh.  Good flavour too.  I'm sure you'll love them.

AnneB

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2022, 12:31 »
I have not tried those varieties but I have had a lot of success with another white flowered variety, The Czar.
It is very productive and quite tall.
The beans are white and good dried as well as being a good ordinary runner.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2022, 13:29 »
Can't help with alternatives to White Lady MoS, but I do agree they can be tricky to get started - they sometimes rot off even after successful germination.

I usually manage to succeed at the first attempt by soaking for about an hour in tepid water, germinating on barely damp kitchen paper in a sandwich box, then potting up into paper pots, making sure the compost is never more than just moist.

Don't remember having to faff about with purple-seeded varieties, but White Lady is a good variety so I don't mind the extra effort too much.  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
White Lady runner bean seed rot.

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post May 25, 2012, 18:10
by JohnB47
xx
is a string bean a runner bean? and a harricot bean a butter bean?

Started by KingEdward on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 27, 2009, 14:06
by Ice
xx
French bean & Runner bean timing advice..

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 22:18
by Ice
xx
Bean leaves going white

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 03, 2011, 23:25
by gowing238

Page created in 0.605 seconds with 45 queries.