Bumble bees

• 12 Replies

bigsprouts

• Experienced Member
Bumble bees
« on: February 22, 2008, 18:10 »
hi all i have a nest of bees in a place that they are not really welcome.At present it is not particularly busy but come the summer, it will be dangerous to my family. So what i would like to know is can any body tell me how to politely move them on without harming them? :?

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Bumble bees
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 18:14 »
OOOh I wish I lived near you - I'd take them off your hands for my lottie!

At this time of year there can't be many bees in the nest though - I'd have thought that the queens would only just be setting up the hive but I might be wrong.

Is it possible to dig around the nest and transplant it anywhere in a closed box perhaps?

Having said that, I've had bumble bee colonies in the undergrowth in my back garden and they've never been any kind of problem, even when we accidentally blocked their entrance (it was right under the shed door and when the door was open they couldn't get in!)

Trillium

Bumble bees
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 18:26 »
If they're bumblees, they're normally not at all agressive - unless you actually lean on them. They look worse than they are - very gentle, non agressive creatures that simply go about their business. When they're in the garden with me, I just work in the next section until they're finished with that plant then I can move back. They're rather in decline on both continents so I try not to disturb them. They're nothing to be frightened of.

jack russell

Bumble bees
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 18:27 »
It may help if we had more details of the hive and it location etc.  A photo would be good if possible.

Sue  are you going to keep bees this year and have you checked for any local courses etc.  I would love to but dont think they are allowed on either of the sites :roll:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Bumble bees
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 18:54 »
I was thinking of making a top bar hive and keeping a small honey colony and getting some bumblebee boxes to put under the shed.  My site does allow them so there won't be any problem with that but the courses won't be run again until either may this year or next (the email was a bit vague - in January it said that the courses would be ran in May next year so not sure if the person didn't realise it was already 2008 or if they won't be ran until next spring  :?:

either way, houghall college in durham do run courses and I've got a few websites to visit and get some info on local groups.

Have a chat with your association - a bit of extra pollination never hurt anyone and considering there were very few bees around at all last year they might look kindly on them!

poultrygeist

Bumble bees
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 19:00 »
A bumble bee was keeping me company this afternoon while I worked.

Lovely to see but can't help but worry it's a bit chilly for them yet !

We had Flower Bees in the chimney last year but I had to smoke them out because we were due to rebuild it. I'd never heard of them before I saw one in the dining room. They've got long beaks which make them look like very small hornets. Completely harmless and very useful round the garden. But they eat into weak mortar to lay eggs. Not so good.

Re: bumblebee nest. - Could you contact your local wildlife group for advice and maybe they can remove the nest for you ???

Rob

Ruby Red

Bumble bees
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 19:24 »
My dad used to have hands like shovels but was so gentle he used to catch them in his hands and let them out of the greenhouse. They dont hurt you.  We once had a swarm of bees and the local council had names and addresses of ppl who would come and take them to their hives.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Bumble bees
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 19:52 »
I'd leave them be, esp if they are bumbles they wont hurt. We have loads of solitary miner bees every year around the front door using the little holes in the mortar, we've been here 17 yrs and no one has ever been stung.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

gobs

Bumble bees
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 21:53 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"

Re: bumblebee nest. - Could you contact your local wildlife group for advice and maybe they can remove the nest for you ???

Rob

The best advice there in my opinion apart from as everybody testifies they are harmless (if they are not bumblee bee, just as an off chance they'd be stingless be quite likely), they just ignore people until you get round to ruining their nest that is.

And the best advice is 'couse you might easily find if you look that they are protected, as Trillium says, they are in decline and a very important pollinator.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

bigsprouts

• Experienced Member
Bumble bees
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 09:00 »
H :? i the hive is in the wall under timber cladding the bees land on the patio and walk to the hive entrance. We are worried about if our children are out in the back garden in the summer time in the paddle pool and stand on one of them or something and get stung.It is as we enter the garden right near the garden door.We live in a bungalow with only one door on the side of the building to get into the garden we have to enter through a side gate at the rear of the property.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Bumble bees
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 11:12 »
Gotcha Bigsprouts  bit difficult then I can understand your worry, you could try putting something just in front of the entrance like a plant in a pot this may make them fly in closer before they land.

If not then you may have to destroy them if they become a problem, use a wasp nest killer spray may be the best way if you decide to do it  :(

Fat Hen

Bumble bees
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 16:11 »
I've put nests for bumble & solitary bees around the garden with my two daughters age 3 & 6 involved.  

They loved watching the bees last yr come and investigate and occasionally take up residence.  The eldest daughter used to bring her friends around to watch them.

By involving them this way they have grown to love them and realise they are important to the plants (in our case chillis, toms & beans).

The bee population in this country is really struggling and need all the help you can get.  There are sites on the internet giving info on wild bees & the steps you can take to help them.

Ruby Red

Bumble bees
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 11:18 »
Quote from: "bigsprouts"
H :? i the hive is in the wall under timber cladding the bees land on the patio and walk to the hive entrance. We are worried about if our children are out in the back garden in the summer time in the paddle pool and stand on one of them or something and get stung.It is as we enter the garden right near the garden door.We live in a bungalow with only one door on the side of the building to get into the garden we have to enter through a side gate at the rear of the property.

I can understand you being worried and all of us telling you they wont hurt doesnt help BUT . . . please dont kill them .Phone up your local council and ask them for the number of a bee keeper.He will be only  :? too pleased to collect them for you. If the council doesnt know ask around or look on the internet. Please make an effort because its heartbreaking to think you could be killing them. They are suffering so much and as you are a poster on this forum I think you will know the benefits of having bees to pollinate your flowers or veg.

xx
Broad beans and bumble Bees

Started by bravemurphy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 10, 2014, 19:04
by tosca100
xx
Bumble bee nest.

Started by Tuppy.1 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 16, 2015, 17:39
by RubyR3d
xx
Bumble Bee problem

Started by vron on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 16, 2013, 19:34
by willp
xx
help with bees !!

Started by karma22 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 13:55
by kevinp

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 34 queries.