pointed cabbage

• 4 Replies

rowlandwells

pointed cabbage
« on: June 12, 2020, 19:59 »
we bought a lovely pointed cabbage the other day from the local co-op it had a very nice sweet flavour but don't know what the variety was we are growing a pointed variety called Dutchman but it may have been a variety called caraflex i was thinking about growing that variety because sowing to maturing 75 days maybe caraflex next season

i have to say the cabbage did cost 85p where Dutchman seed cost me around £2.00 and caraflex seed was £5.05 for 100 seeds really its a no brainer  :nowink:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: pointed cabbage
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 22:05 »
Let us know what they're like, as I may have to change soon :) As you say growing cabbage is so easy and they can be expensive in the shops, no-brainer indeed!

My old favourite is Hispi, but recently the seeds have been very hard to get, but I managed to get some (plus some minicole, small round, also hard to get) from the mammoth onions site :)
So I'm happy for now :)

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 09:23 »
Hi Mum remind me a bit later in the year about pointed the pointed cabbage because i am about to plant out the Dutchman cabbage plants

as i said i was looking at other varieties F1 Regency looked another one to try as well as Caraflex but Caraflex is not recommended for Autumn sowings i am also looking for a good spring cabbage to winter over that i can sow around September/ October pot on and leave over winter in the poly tunnel to plant out in spring

i have to say i have had good results from doing the same method with over wintering cauliflowers [Boris] in the poly tunnel then planting out in the spring good bold curds

we have in recent years had problems with caterpillars so we haven't had the best results from our cabbage crops even though the beds are netted so I'm trying garlic and chilli sprays this year as well as netting fingers crossed this mite give us a decent cabbage

jambop

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 09:41 »
I bought some greyhound seeds to try as a winter/spring cabbage. I usually use F1 seeds for brassicas as I think they are far more vigorous and predictable than ordinary seed. I am now wondering if I should forget the greyhound seeds and buy some F1 variety?  Does anybody have an opinion? If I go the F1 route what is a good one to go for?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 10:45 »
I think the varieties Dutchman and Heart may be one and the same. I usually grow these and they are really good for an early sweet pointed cabbage.

I usually sow early in the greenhouse in Feb and then plant out, but you can sow later. My pack says June for an October harvest.

My favourite follow on crop is Kalibos, that DD originally put me on to.  I usually sow those March/April for an autumn crop. It is a red pointed cabbage and one of my favourites for cabbage salad and slaw  :)

xx
Pointed cabbage

Started by Livinhope on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 10:13
by Livinhope
xx
pointed cabbage

Started by loobs61 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 25, 2011, 13:19
by loobs61
xx
cabbage ballhead round] or pointed ?

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 14, 2019, 10:32
by mumofstig
xx
sowing winter cabbage [spring cabbage ]

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 27, 2017, 16:46
by Aidy

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 37 queries.