Aluminium chicken coop ?

• 4 Replies

Under The Hill

Aluminium chicken coop ?
« on: January 21, 2021, 10:38 »
Hi I need a new chicken coop and doing research have found what looks like a fab reasonably priced aluminium house made in the UK by a company called SPOILT  -  it would mean no red mite and they say the coops are UV treated do not too hot - what do you think ? Anuo r any experience of them ? I can find lots of information on wood and plastic coops but nothing on aluminium ?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Aluminium chicken coop ?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 11:26 »
I’ve never heard anyone mention them before.  I am on my phone so have had a quick look at them for sale, but can’t get into the detailed info.

UV coating may reduce summer temperatures, but in full sun I reckon heat would build in there. A hen sat in there trying to lay could overheat easily.

It would be very cold in winter and freezing if frost or snow lay on it.  Not much better than being out in the open, just drier.

I’m not convinced tbh.  There is a boom in chicken keeping at present with lockdowns and lots of people trying to cash in on that. Not saying this firm are, but I am dubious  :unsure:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 11:29 by New shoot »

Under The Hill

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 16:37 »
I have posted elsewhere too on Facebook chicken keeping groups and got similar response as you. So just now I have taken the plunge and bought a solway recycled plastic coop. amazing reviews and even though I hadnt mentioned in my post on Facebook that I was also looking at solway - so many people recommended it. very excited as everything so far for my chickens has been second-hand but moving house and we promised the people buying our house they could keep my chicken run and pen - tbh it would have been a nightmare to move to new house anyway as base is buried with chicken wire skirt !  Thanks for taking time to answer much appreciated

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 19:22 »
I think you will be very happy with a plastic coop. 

Solway coops are always rated very highly.  I have a Green Frog one and an Eglu (both plastic) and would not go back to wooden poultry housing now  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 13:19 »
Can I just point out that plastic coops can still get red mites however it easier to eradicate red mites from them.  Just dont flush the coops out on the ground where you site your coops if you do find red mites, they can live without food on the ground for a long time and make their way back.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Chicken coop

Started by wildeone on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post January 18, 2008, 19:04
by wildeone
question
DIY Chicken Coop

Started by Muckytyke on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 19:55
by birmancats
xx
Chicken coop?

Started by 3mmett29 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 11, 2009, 09:11
by shiatsusu
xx
Has anyone got the chicken coop?

Started by RuthG on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 15, 2008, 17:41
by Kevscoops

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 45 queries.