Do you know anyone that has gotten the COVID jab yet?

• 115 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: Do you know anyone that has gotten the COVID jab yet?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2020, 15:30 »
I'm a lot happier awaiting a vaccine that will come than locked away with the news going 'it may never happen'
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2020, 22:49 »
What we are hearing in the USA is it will be late summer or early autumn before people that are not in high risk categories get the vaccines. Highest priority now are medical personnel and places with elderly residents with medical conditions (nursing homes, etc.); various officials are also getting the vaccine to set an example. After that, first responders (fire, police, etc.), then elderly (65+) with risky medical conditions.  I'm in the everyone-else category.

Meanwhile, we have abou 3,000 people dying  daily across the country. My eldest son's professor for his master's degree program just informed him that his wife has COVID, and he is quarantined. We are waiting to find out if the professor has COVID, and if we need  to quarantine. Feel like a goldfish living in a blender.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 23:01 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2020, 23:26 »
Sorry to hear that SP.   We’re all sending you good wishes from across the pond.  Let’s  hope the Prof. is in the clear so far.  Keep safe... hands, face, space.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2020, 00:30 »
I know there's all sorts of crackpot cures and remedies on the net, but there does seem to be some evidence that vitamin D is helpful in mitigating the effects. We're taking vitamins C and D in fairly high doses plus a multi-vit - does it help? I'm not sure but it does no harm and costs very little. Might be a useful precaution, SP. Hope you're OK and that the tide turns very quickly for you over there.
We're beginning to feel like the Alamo here in Gwynedd, beset on all sides by a huge army. Our local rate has risen to 62/100K but the highest in Wales is over 1800 and much of South Wales is over 1000.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2020, 02:36 »
Thanks for the advice John. Aunt Sally, our whole family is following that good advice, washing hands, covering face, maintaining space.

John, I hope your situation in Wales turns a corner! Our State of Georgia is not as bad off as some places. I just watched a report about a hospital in San Bernardino County in California. They are at 300% of capacity, converting hallways and lobbies into medical space, 100% of the medical staff is COVID positive, they are running things with staff that are asymptomatic, but staff is dropping off with illnesses.

No one is really coordinating efforts nationally.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 02:53 by Subversive_plot »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2020, 08:58 »
SP, the situation over there sounds appalling.  I’m glad you are not too badly off in Georgia, but it is hard to imagine how bad it must be in San Bernardino. 

I am in an area of the UK that has just moved up a tier into high alert and we are running at about 250 cases per 100,000.  We are close to London in the most crowded corner of our crowded little islands, so John’s figures for parts of Wales are really quite shocking and speak volumes about how dumb some people are being.

The hospitals here are fairly full, but they are also treating a lot of non-COVID cases.    The danger is that if the virus really starts to run out of control, they will clear the main hospitals again and delay routine treatments and operations. Those medical staff in California are way beyond that and I hope their heroic efforts save a lot of people and don’t make them pay a dreadful price for it.

Wishing you and your family a safe and peaceful Christmas holiday and thank you for your post.  It is thought provoking and puts things into a bit of perspective.  I think a lot of people will read it and wish they could help more, but hopefully having friends here to say those things to and get some support back makes it all a little more bearable x

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2020, 12:00 »
I appreciate the kind wishes and moral support from all of you. It helps a little just venting and letting someone else know how bad it is here.

As a nation, the USA has had nearly 18 million cases since the start of the pandemic, and is currently averaging 220,000 new cases every single day. I am telling you this not to ruin your holidays, but to give you pause, and to provide a cautionary tale; DON'T be like the United States!  If you are at all thinking about in-person visits with family you don't normally live with, don't do it! Stay alive, stay masked, distanced, wash or sanitize hands and surfaces frequently.

I don't want to be an ongoing COVID "downer" so I will try NOT posting again on COVID through the holidays. Except maybe to post if we remain OK and don't get COVID through my son's professor, and hopefully to post that his wife has recovered.

You may see me post elsewhere, since I am actively working  on my plot.

Stay safe and happy holidays everyone.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 12:06 by Subversive_plot »

mrs bouquet

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2020, 14:33 »
It only started being used yesterday, SP.

The first person to be vaccinated outside of a trial was 90 year old Margaret Keenan in Coventry.

The second person was 81 year old William Shakespeare from Warwickshire...
yes, really  -  (this is Britain)  :D

I think I saw them both on television last night.  I believe Mr. Shakespeare was 'suffering the slings and hypodermics of outrageous fortune, and extending his arm against a sea of troubles, And by opposing ending the virus'.  I think Ms. Keenan was doing the same!

According to the Daily Rubbish today, a woman has said that Ms. Keenan got a placebo, all to with the Masons' and Ms. Keenan was making a Mason's handsign when she was wheeled out.    Some sad people and a sad newspaper to report it.    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2020, 16:10 »
According to the Daily Rubbish today, a woman has said that Ms. Keenan got a placebo, all to with the Masons' and Ms. Keenan was making a Mason's handsign when she was wheeled out.    Some sad people and a sad newspaper to report it.    Mrs Bouquet
I thought the masons were all men. Perhaps they were men in drag.. or Lizard People in human suits!
Just another thought - is a lady mason a maisonette?

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2020, 11:40 »
Hi S_P,

Yes, my aunt & uncle, both just over 80 yrs old, got called in for the the jab at short-notice last Thursday here in Ormskirk.

Re your second question - how did it go? - it all went fine and they they said that it was well organised too, so they felt safe both whilst having it, and being kept socially-distanced from other people.

So it gave us all a bit of a lift when we heard about it, some good news.

Wishing you all the best,

G&R

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2020, 14:21 »
Just another thought - is a lady mason a maisonette?

No, but she should be.

Mr Dog

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2020, 19:36 »
Spoke to an old school friend's dad today who had his 1st shot 3 days ago. He said the vaccination centre was well organised and although he'd had the minor discomfort of feeling a bit achy all over and a slightly raised temp for around 48hrs afterwards it was absolutely worth it.

grinling

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2020, 14:02 »
Looks like over 80's are being offered it here. Neighbour rung up and was told to go the sports centre in Grantham, 15 miles away. She asked where it was and has been offered a jab at home. Not much disabled parking at the sports hall, so not really the best place for the elderly.

GraciesGran

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2020, 15:25 »
Friend had her this morning.  Both she and her husband are over 80 with health problems.

Spoke to daughter this morning she and my son in law are now testing negative.  She has lost a stone and a half while She was ill.  Unlike me she does not have a stone and a half to spare. 

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2020, 19:44 »
Good news that she's recovered - shouldn't be too hard to put some weight on over Christmas. Hope we'll all be getting our inoculations soon.

xx
Have you had Covid

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

63 Replies
Last post July 24, 2022, 23:20
by John
xx
Covid 19 Vaccine

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

31 Replies
Last post December 12, 2020, 01:35
by John
xx
Covid positives...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post February 09, 2021, 16:33
by bobbyt
xx
Have the swallows got Covid 19?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post May 16, 2020, 13:52
by wighty

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 54 queries.