New to brewing so?

• 9 Replies

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
New to brewing so?
« on: June 19, 2020, 14:02 »
48 hours after starting my very first batch of elderflower champagne (60 litres), I have the dreaded nothing happening situation. So I opened a packet of Russian bread yeast, since no brewing stuff is available, and i'm in a bit of a flap as it  doesn't smell like yeast at all, it smells sweet, but my friends here have assured me it is bread yeast. The packet says to mix it with warm water to get it going, but as per the advice on YouTube videos, I have sprinkled just a little pinch in (after parting the flower heads). My question is: should it still start working, as the brew is not as warm as what the instructions for it say?

grinling

Re: New to brewing so?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 20:18 »
You can sprinkle the yeast on warm water and it should froth up.
I have a beer belt when using my food bin for big brews. I also sit the food bin on a folded towel and wrap another around it loosely.
Yeast is in very short supply.
You might only be able to make eiderflower wine as you need a specific yeast for sparkling.
I have used https://www.thehappybrewer.com/ingredients/wine-yeasts/. Send him an email, he he very useful

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 23:22 »
It's just past midnight here grinling, and I have just tried as you advise. Maybe about 40/50 ml of warm water and just a small pinch of yeast. I wouldn't say that such a small amount actually frothed, but maybe something did happen. I see on Galloway wild foods recipe, that he says that the brew can be bottled without obvious fermentation in the bin, as it will happen after bottling?

grinling

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 15:08 »
plants have natural yeast, but we do wash the plants first.
I would use a teaspoon of yeast in the water

jambop

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 13:19 »
I used to make a stash of homebrew back home both wine and beer. I always thought that beer was a better option than wine because it was drinkable much sooner than wine was. I live in France now... it really makes you realise how futile trying to make decent home made wine actually was. I suppose it is always about the pleasure and fun though... I never in all the time I made beer had a bad batch but making wine is so much more difficult to get a really palatable red wine mainly due to the available ingredients.

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 16:21 »
A bit of a late reply, but I would like to say that whatever I did, worked out very well indeed. In the end we rushed around and made 2 - 50lt plus batches. A good number of Russian friends are also impressed, so a bit of British culture will make it here in the form of a copied recipe I think. It has a very reasonable 'kick' as well.

grinling

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 22:43 »
well done.  I hope they all enjoy it  :D

James frond

• Often shaken but never stirred.
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 13:45 »
I've often marvelled at the superb home made wines of my acquaintances over the years.
Around ten years ago, i made around 20 bottles of apple wine following a guide book instructions.
When i first tasted it, myself and Mrs frond thought arghh!.. It's so dry!
So it stayed in the top of the wardrobe shelf for almost a decade. The other day wifey brought one downstairs saying lets try this.
You guessed it, it was lovely, so now we'll work our happy and merry way through the rest.
I will need to take up wine making again..
Why did i put 4 courgette plants in..

mrsbean

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 22:18 »
Was thinking of making Apple wine, waiting to pick and use windfalls, glad to know it could taste dry x

James frond

• Often shaken but never stirred.
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2020, 22:50 »
Was thinking of making Apple wine, waiting to pick and use windfalls, glad to know it could taste dry x
Go for it Mrs Bean!
A good home made apple wine can be a very special treat.  :)

xx
A brewing day.

Started by fallen angel on Homebrew

14 Replies
Last post March 10, 2016, 14:46
by grinling
xx
new to brewing

Started by sizer247 on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post February 06, 2011, 20:41
by Silkworm
xx
What's brewing

Started by Baldy on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post August 18, 2015, 00:32
by fallen angel
xx
brewing help needed

Started by wayne170534 on Homebrew

7 Replies
Last post September 12, 2010, 17:42
by wayne170534

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 46 queries.