Do I need to rack or can I bottle this?

• 4 Replies

WeavingGryphon

Do I need to rack or can I bottle this?
« on: June 15, 2020, 11:12 »
Hello.

Our first two and oldest wines need racked into a demijohn according to the recipe. They've done nothing for at least two weeks now, one has been clearing for about 3 weeks. The gas level has levelled out on both bubblers.
The most active of the two looks not totally clear,you can't read the paper through it, but it's not cloudy either, it's a nice clear yellow hue. The other (Homer) has been slowly clearing, and has been inactive for longer.

Can't we just bottle them?  Do I need to follow the recipe? Or do I need to get the hydrometer out?
the recipe didn't had any prompts to get the hydrometer out so we have no readings.

Growster...

Re: Do I need to rack or can I bottle this?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 14:50 »
Worth just checking with a hydrometer, but it sounds like it's finished. A dry wine should be around 0.990.

You can rack as many times as you like, as this does help clearing away the dross from the bottom, and sometimes the dead old yeast cells pong a bit!

I often rack twice anyway, as splashing the wine around helps to get rid of the old carbon dioxide, and of course, the smell, but remember that you're also introducing oxygen, so don't get too frenzied, or the wine may not want to last that long...

Of course, if you bottle it all now, you may get some sediment later on,and then all you need to do is decant each bottle!

I think I'd prefer to rack now, even use finings if you have some, shove a crushed Campden tablet in the new demijohn, and let it stand a day or so before you decide what to do from the above.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 11:40 »
Thank you, for persuading me not to be daft.
We did Marge last night, she's had one large bloop to herself  that I've seen since and gone cloudy. But that was accidental jiggling of the starting demijohn leading to the lees being disturbed on my part. We forgot to use the hydrometer until the level had dropped and was too low.

Husband got a taste and thought it was lovely. I thought it was comparable to molten ear wax (ginger influence?). We'll decant Homer later today.

Another question, our Elderberry and bramble wine has developed strange floating paler purple brain like bits. What is it and what do we do? Do we rack? Stare at it and wonder?

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 15:43 »
We did Marge last night, she's had one large bloop to herself  that I've seen since and gone cloudy. But that was accidental jiggling of the starting demijohn leading to the lees being disturbed on my part. We forgot to use the hydrometer until the level had dropped and was too low.

Husband got a taste and thought it was lovely. I thought it was comparable to molten ear wax (ginger influence?). We'll decant Homer later today.

Another question, our Elderberry and bramble wine has developed strange floating paler purple brain like bits. What is it and what do we do? Do we rack? Stare at it and wonder?

Bits are probably leftovers from the stuff you fermented in the first place. Wouldn't worry too much at this stage!

When you move it all to new demijohns etc, they'll drop out as dross, so forget it!

If it tastes good, then you have a winner !

Result!   ;0)

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 18:48 »

Bits are probably leftovers from the stuff you fermented in the first place. Wouldn't worry too much at this stage!

When you move it all to new demijohns etc, they'll drop out as dross, so forget it!

If it tastes good, then you have a winner !

Result!   ;0)

Thank you,
We decanted Homer (plain parsnip) into a demijohn and Husband said he thought it was "a little bit like Hoegaarden and a lot more mellow than Marge" (spiced parsnip). It certainly didn't have the extra face burn caustic nature of Marge. I have no idea if being like Hoegaarden is a good thing or not but one of his friends likes that brand. So he have a target victim study demographic.

I totally forgot to add the filter and a pile of raisins got sucked up. Lesson learned.

xx
To rack or not to rack that is the question

Started by Tattyanne456 on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post September 15, 2009, 20:22
by Jay Dubya
question
When do you decide you need to rack your wine?

Started by WeavingGryphon on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post June 19, 2020, 20:10
by grinling
xx
When to bottle?

Started by Stoatus on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 18:46
by hindy
xx
lager,bottle or keg

Started by rubixs on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post January 10, 2010, 20:53
by Swing Swang

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 40 queries.