Water retaining crystals / gel

• 4 Replies

Lardman

Water retaining crystals / gel
« on: April 29, 2014, 15:22 »
Nearly time to put the things out in the greenhouse  :D I plan to use 10" pots with MP in them. Are these water retaining crystals worth it ? I wouldn't bother with the peppers, but I'm wondering if the toms and the cukes would see the benefit especially seeing how quickly the MP seems to be drying out this year.
nosce te ipsum : I'm the person the monsters under your bed are hiding from.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Water retaining crystals / gel
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 18:42 »
I usually chuck them in my greenhouse pots.  They do help if you have a long day at work and get back too late or too tired to water.  They hold water in the compost until the next morning until you can get out there :)

Rehydrate them before you mix into the compost.  They swell up a lot and you can end up with compost errupting out of the pot if you are not careful  ;)

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 19:35 »
I use them too in the greenhouse. Definitely helps if you can't make it to the plot for a day.
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

Springlands

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 19:41 »
I usually chuck them in my greenhouse pots.  They do help if you have a long day at work and get back too late or too tired to water.  They hold water in the compost until the next morning until you can get out there :)

Rehydrate them before you mix into the compost.  They swell up a lot and you can end up with compost errupting out of the pot if you are not careful  ;)

That happened to me the first time that I used them - I had compost every where.  :lol:

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 20:57 »
Cheers all I'll give them a go then, wish Id put some in my strawberry tower  :(

They swell up a lot and you can end up with compost errupting out of the pot if you are not careful  ;)

Noted  ::)

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 31 queries.