Bee keeping info required (please)

• 11 Replies

BussinSpain

• Experienced Member
Bee keeping info required (please)
« on: January 21, 2013, 11:27 »
I would like to know more about bee keeping on a small scale.  We have 30 almond trees, large veggie garden and lots of wild flowers around us.  We live up in the hills and valleys about an hour inland from the Costa Blanca coast. I would like to have some bees to ensure our harvests and help nature in general.  ( We like honey too)  What good publications could I read to learn as much as possible before searching for any equipment and bees please?
Now what shall I do today?

Trillium

Re: Bee keeping info required (please)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 15:43 »
It's always recommended that people ask around their immediate area if there are any bee clubs (yes, they exist) to learn first hand experience, or a local beekeeper who is willing to let you learn at their side. Most are very happy to pass on advice to new beekeepers.

If that fails, then check bookstores or online sellers for beekeeping books. Many are very good with lots of pix.

Also check with your agriculture ministry for free brochures or advice on diseases plaguing your area. This is mostly so you can avoid buying bees from unscrupulous 'nuc' sellers that have infected bees and don't care. When you know what disease is a problem, you can look it up then be aware when buying.

BussinSpain

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 16:34 »
Sound advice - thank you Trillium:)  It will certainly test my Spanish :blink:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 17:33 »
There have been quite a few posts on here about bees, have a read of these which might give you a better insight.   ;)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=75852.0

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=69707.0

Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

BussinSpain

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 16:20 »
Thank you ANHBUC (what does that stand for?)  Those 2 links proved very useful.  I will look to get The Barefoot Beekeeper book for my e-reader asap (well my husband will do it for me anyway :nowink:)  The biobees web site looks informative so will have a thorough read.  Many thanks for all the suggestions fellow gardners :D

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 21:39 »
Thank you ANHBUC (what does that stand for?)  Those 2 links proved very useful.  I will look to get The Barefoot Beekeeper book for my e-reader asap (well my husband will do it for me anyway :nowink:)  The biobees web site looks informative so will have a thorough read.  Many thanks for all the suggestions fellow gardners :D

Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens   :lol:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 15:36 »
Definitely agree with Trillium about trying to find an experienced beekeeper to learn from. You scan learn a lot from books but it is nothing compared to what you can learn from the bees themselves with the help of a beekeeper.

It is certainly essential to spend a little time with bees before getting them and have your first sting etc to find out if you react. Also some people find that no matter how much they value and appreciate bees intellectually, the reality of handling 10 000's of bees is not for them.

One of my favourite bee books is the Collins bible (can't remember the exact name) and Ted Hoopers Guide to Bees and Honey which is a wonderful book.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Swing Swang

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 14:11 »

If you're seriously thinking of going down the top bar beekeeping route then I'd strongly advise that you get a copy of Wyatt Mangum's book - not cheap, but he's a PhD who was 'conventional/moveable frame beekeeping' who then went down the 'top bar' route and has over 300 hives for pollination/honey/queen rearing. The refreshing thing about his book is that it doesn't come across with a lot of the 'philosophy' of 'natural beekeeping' which (very personal view this) I find gets a bit over the top and does not align with my reasons for keeping bees etc. Of course that might be your thing in which case each to his own.

I note that you are in Spain - they have a tradition of tvertical top bar (log) hives so you might find an old-boy who can mentor you. The log hives are a vertical design, and are very similar to Portuguese Cork Hives in terms of management and size (I guess that they are/were also used in the cork growing regions of Spain too..

I'm in my second season of using vertical top bar hives after conventional hives some years ago. To be productive and to keep the bees healthy they are not a 'file and forget' option. I make my own hives and top bars are MUCH easier to make than conventionals, however if I wasn't keen on the woodwork I'd have stuck with conventional hives. One way of being a little less ' 'hands on' is to consider the management of your hives, and I think nthat there is a lot that can be learn'tt rom Tim(?) Rose  which make The Rose Hive an interesting read too.

SS

BussinSpain

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 18:09 »
PHEW :(  so much info - I will keep reading, surfing etc., and try to find a local bee-keeper.  I only want for a happy hive, honey and pollination help with our alond trees.  Thanks guys and girls:) xx

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 21:53 »
I think that's all most beekeepers want!

They are amazingly clever and resilient creatures and endlessly fascinating but years like last year (hopefully you would have a better time of it in Spain) really put them under the cosh. Heartbroken to have lost 2 of my colonies this winter and a joy to see the others flying today in the warmer weather.

Swing Swang

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 21:55 »
Sorry you lost a couple of colonies. My only colony survived and were bringing in white pollen yesterday which must be a good sign. SS

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 19:06 »
Mine are bringing in some bright yellow pollen, think it's probably catkins. Hopefully they will make it through spring and have a better year this year..

xx
Hello, newbie to this section needs info!

Started by Aidy on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post March 13, 2012, 20:19
by sarajane
xx
BEE KEEPING

Started by ACKY on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post January 06, 2010, 19:13
by carrot cruncher
xx
keeping a dog?

Started by sneezer on Pets without Feathers

6 Replies
Last post August 07, 2010, 16:58
by tosca100
xx
Bee keeping courses

Started by noshed on Pets without Feathers

5 Replies
Last post November 04, 2009, 18:57
by Rubellite

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 39 queries.