Disposal of hen.....

• 9 Replies

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
Disposal of hen.....
« on: February 12, 2009, 08:51 »
Sadly, one of my pullets, Maisie, has died.  I know it is officially illegal to bury her in the garden, my preferred choice, but I don't fancy putting her in the landfill dustbin, or burning her.
Maisie was the leader of the pack, adventerous - the first to try something new, curious and friendly.  We only got our 18 week old pullets on 18th November, and they all won us over immediately, but Maisie, being the only white (Leghorn hybrid?), really stood out for all the above reasons.
She was off-colour all of yesterday.  Her crop seemed to be solid, but not sure that that would be enough to kill her, would it? 
cathangirl

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
Re: Disposal of hen.....
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 10:47 »
My question is: Would it be so very wrong to bury her well away from any water supply, etc?
cathangirl

too many girls

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 10:53 »
i don't see whay you can't bury her, she was a pet and most pets end up in the garden, find a secluded spot and don't tell anyone.

Vember

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 11:24 »
Hi CG

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss :( Sending you a huge Hug x

There was a post written a while ago in regard to disposal of birds, link below :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=24327.0

Me personally, well I do as above  ;)

Sarah :D

Rhode Runner

• The Poultry Garden
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 11:25 »
I think the replies above are good, just one discrepancy chickens although to many of us are pets are not considered so by DEFRA see here:-

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/by-prods/fallen/disposalqa.htm#3

My view is still do as you will.

I am more concerned with the reasons for your birds demise. You need to ensure that the same problem is not present for your other birds. Could your pullet have been crop bound? If as you state the crop was full in the morning before the bird started to feed then this is almost certainly the case. Birds, especially in cold weather, fill their crops before going to bed. This food is then digested during the night and the crop is then empty by the morning. If your birds are free ranging they will come across all bits and pieces that contribute  to their diet. One big danger is long tough grass which gets knotted and forms a solid ball in the crop. The bird then has difficulty passing this compacted mass through the digestive system. There are remedies for this condition.

Allan
It's not growing old that stops you doing things
Its stopping doing things that makes you old.

Paddywack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 11:46 »
Hi cathangirl,
Sorry to hear about your loss of Maisie, it’s always gut wrenching when one of your birds die’s, but you must learn from the experience, don’t let Maisie death be wasted, don’t let it happen to your other birds.

Take a little time every day just to look at your birds, see if any are acting strange or distant from the others, and then check them out.
Come on this forum and ask questions, 9 times 10 it’s nothing, but for that one time it could save one of your girls.

And bury her somewhere safe for her, so she doesn’t get dug up.

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 12:21 »
We have a friend not far away who has a farm and he always has a fire going so any of our girls that pass away are always cremated.

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 14:18 »
Thank you all so much for taking the time to answer my question.

Yes, I did check her crop, so am feeling very guilty for not having liquid paraffin and a syringe at the ready sooner.  I had hoped to have time to get some today, but she died at 7am this morning.

I will learn from her, don't worry.

cathangirl

karlooben

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 17:36 »
sorry to hear about your girl dying , i would bury her if its poss, but i am very very naughty as my girls are on the allotment site and i know we have foxes there i just leave the bodies near the cementry side of the site an they are gone that night.

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 17:53 »
It's sad when a pet hen dies and how disrespectful to chuck her in the bin  :(

DEFRA  :( have made the rules for good reason, so that infections and pollution don't get into the ground water.  Now how likely is that with one tiny hen  ::)

PS Don't forget how deep Mr/s Fox can dig !

xx
Disposal

Started by tyrone on The Hen House

43 Replies
Last post September 28, 2008, 21:48
by MontyTom
xx
Poo disposal

Started by chooksbury on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post January 01, 2010, 23:09
by SUTTY1
xx
disposal when the time comes

Started by Catsmuvva on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post April 27, 2011, 10:44
by LittleRedHen
xx
Chicken disposal

Started by upert on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post April 26, 2020, 07:44
by Rsb

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 39 queries.