Parsnips looking gooood!

• 9 Replies

Kleftiwallah

Parsnips looking gooood!
« on: June 03, 2019, 16:23 »

The title says it all...We may have home grown parsnips for Christmas dinner.  Thanks to all about chitting (and the correct way to do it).

Cheers,  Tony. :)
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Parsnips looking gooood!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 18:06 »
Excellent news  :D now the worst bit....

hoping the grow straight  :D :D :D :D
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Grubbypaws

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 13:58 »
Almost none of my Gladiator F1 parsnips have germinated. I bought new seed this year from T&M but notice that it was packed in 2018 for sewing by 2019. Could this be the cause? My Albion were newer and have all germinated. They are in the same raised bed.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 14:43 »
Almost none of my Gladiator F1 parsnips have germinated. I bought new seed this year from T&M but notice that it was packed in 2018 for sewing by 2019. Could this be the cause? My Albion were newer and have all germinated. They are in the same raised bed.
Were these sown direct?
Put a load in a tub with kitchen roll top n bottom and leave for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Dont put them in a place too cold or warm.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 17:35 »
Here's mine two weeks ago  :D

Germinated under black plastic to retain warmth and moisture, to simulate the old "cover with a plank" method. Left them alone for 2 weeks, then suddenly a row of pale seedlings so took off the covers.

As Aidy said.. let's hope they grow straight  ::)
P1230112.JPG
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Pescador

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 19:44 »
That's a good looking stand of direct sown parsnips.
I also sow direct and by waiting until the soil is warm and the forecast gives plenty of showers, it shows it can be done. There are more gaps in my rows, but that's probably down to my lack of weeding!
IMG_20190610_102730.jpg
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 13:20 »
That's a good looking stand of direct sown parsnips.
I also sow direct and by waiting until the soil is warm and the forecast gives plenty of showers, it shows it can be done. There are more gaps in my rows, but that's probably down to my lack of weeding!

The recent rain has really boosted the leaves along and they are about 15cm tall now! Yours will no doubt have done the same Pescador  :D

Pescador

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 20:06 »
I know my rows have got some big gaps, but I believe that by sowing a bit later and working with the weather forecast, it shows that normal methods can be productive without the need for chitting/toilet rolls etc.
However, let's wait until harvest time!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 08:24 »
I know my rows have got some big gaps, but I believe that by sowing a bit later and working with the weather forecast, it shows that normal methods can be productive without the need for chitting/toilet rolls etc.
However, let's wait until harvest time!

As you say, the proof of the pudding, or in this case the parsnips, is in the eating  ;)  I had to pull one out as it was so far out of the row as to be a nuisance to the crops behind, and it was a nice straight ten inches long root. Who knows what the others may be like though. I shall do a bit of thinning next week I think, as I did sow a bit thicker than I should have. I can't be fussing with all that chitting, toilet rolls etc... been there, done that, was no better than anything else for me. Maybe the method of covering is a fluke this year, but time will tell, as I shall certainly do the same next year once the soil is warm and damp

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 09:57 »
First law of parsnip growing states that if you sow 3-4 seeds to each station, some stations will have 100% germination, others none.   :wacko:

I have successfully transplanted seedlings to fill the gaps, but they need to be no bigger than first true leaf stage, and great patience is needed to ease out the long fragile roots without damage, and equal care to replant without kinking them.
Having sandy soil helps, but an alternative is to transplant into pre-dug holes filled with multi purpose compost (I actually sow them using that technique anyway - as well as being sandy my soil is also quite stony.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
Parsnips??

Started by midders on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 16, 2008, 16:54
by Salkeela
xx
Parsnips

Started by GaryH on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 29, 2009, 10:54
by Novice but totally hooked
xx
Parsnips at last

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post June 06, 2011, 10:21
by Anton

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 46 queries.