greenhouse heater

• 12 Replies

wozie

greenhouse heater
« on: November 19, 2010, 10:44 »
Hi need some advice on greenhouse heater please looking at parrafin ones as i think they may be the cheapest ones to buy what does you think any makes you can recomend looking at this one

http://www.garden4less.co.uk/parasene-big-red-parafin-greenhouse-heater.asp

cheers all

Nige2Plots

Re: greenhouse heater
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 18:48 »
Wozie, you might find them cheaper on e-Bay of a similar quality.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 19:12 »
Going on B&Q paraffin prices the Big red heater will cost at least 44p per hour to run. :blink:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 19:25 »
Going on B&Q paraffin prices the Big red heater will cost at least 44p per hour to run. :blink:

which is precisely why mine gets very rarely used >:(

wozie

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 21:47 »
My god would need to win lottery to run one its just for the winter like ! and ebay is a good idea yes will take a look seen electric heaters but 3kw kindda scares me ::)

savbo

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 10:51 »
I always use electric cos a) the thermostat means they're only on when they need to be (and often they have 1k/2k/3k switches as well) and b) they don't generate moisture...

Aldi had an OK one for £13

muckshifter

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 17:36 »
Might be a good idea to check the spare parts situation before making a purchase,I bought a Big Red and found to my dismay the only spare parts available are wicks. >:(

wozie

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 19:39 »
going to go the electric way asier and less hassle me thinks

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 16:28 »
i think it depends on what you need to use your heater for obviously for heating I've tried many greenhouse heaters i had a hot box for the tunnel that was good but to expensive to run i had an electric greenhouse heater fan type blowing hot air that when i got the electric bill i thought i was paying for all the village >:(

the heating i use now is an old solid fuel heater with cast iron pipes under the staging that was given to me by a late friend  burns wood or coal a bit of a chore lighting  it but its good  :happy:

i use a mobile gas heater [gas bottle type] in the spring when the weather gets a little warmer mainly for night time  :wacko:

i always think paraffin fumes attracts white fly but then again its down to cost i would say gas is the best option probably more costly to buy than paraffin heaters but long term a better option  ;)

Brushcutter

• Andrews Decorating
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 09:37 »
I have a parasene large cold frame heater 586 which they say is suitable for a sectioned off area of a greenhouse. Does 14 days on 2.5 ltrs of parafin which the garage up the road sells from a pump for £1.25 a litre(thanks Vegikev for the tip off). Have you bubble wrappred the greenhouse? If i had electric outside i would insulate and maybe  install a low wattage tube heater on a thermostast. If you dont plant directly into the ground you could insulate the floor with a sheet of celotex or similar. I guess whatever you do trying to fight nature is going to cost you!  :tongue2:

N.WalesIdealist

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 00:50 »
I think you'll struggle to see the economic benefits of using a paraffin one IMHO.  The one my Aunt uses is costing her about 12 pounds a week to keep topped up, and I don't think the price of paraffin is due to go down!  Grab an electric one instead, just make sure it's got a reliable thermostat, check the reviews of people who have bought one in the past, because the last thing you want is fried or frozen seedlings!

wozie

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 06:48 »
Hi thanks everyone the information is a great help will have to think about all that,s been posted certainly looks like parrafin is out of the equation due to cost,s  cheers all  :)

thecakebaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 10:26 »
I use a gas heater in my greenhouse using a 47kg gas cylinder. they cost around £55 and last about 2 seasons of use. I start using mine in November till about march ish time. I start growing a lot of my seeds from November time for the following year...

xx
GREENHOUSE HEATER

Started by Scribbler on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 14:52
by Aidy
xx
Greenhouse Heater ?

Started by Matt31 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 15:12
by smud6ie
xx
How to use a greenhouse heater

Started by min200 on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post January 18, 2009, 08:11
by Gwiz
xx
greenhouse heater

Started by pod on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post February 13, 2010, 11:13
by Rangerkris

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 39 queries.