Where to buy Netting and Fleece for my Allotment

• 9 Replies

nickmcmechan

Where to buy Netting and Fleece for my Allotment
« on: April 14, 2011, 07:12 »
I need to buy fleece for my allotment and need a good amount but not sure where to buy and if there are different types. The other allotmenteers tell me there are plenty of 'pests' - deer, rabbits, grouse, wood pidgeons, magpies, slugs etc so everything must be covered or you lose it - Quick!

I want the fleece that lets in water and light. I need 200m2 but don't want to spend a fortune.

I'll also be buying netting for when the seedlings grow up too.

Where to you get yours?

prakash_mib

Re: Where to buy Netting and Fleece for my Allotment
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 07:54 »
this will be moved somewhere else (different section)
take care with the fleece. even though fleece protects plant from the pests they dont let enough sunlight. last year I did experiment on lettuce (iceberg) and 3 were in the fleece and 3 just outside (both in the pots with same compost) and the fleeced one struggled while the unfleeced one went on rampage. couple of others confirmed the same. and you being from scotland you shouldnt deprive your plants the least bit of sun you get.  :)
on buying the fleece try shopping around in the net and there must be someone who has done the same like you.
for netting I do have a like from e*bay in my favourites i think. if you need it I can post the link.
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

daisy1990

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 07:58 »
we get ours from our local horticultural society worth looking on Google to see if you have one?  They are all volunteers and sell everything at cost so can get everything from onion sets to fleece at a very good price
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 08:52 »
i bought my enviromesh here

http://www.gardening-naturally.com/acatalog/Enviromesh_Insect_Netting.html

it seems expensive but it can last up to 10 years.  I also have debris netting which i bought of ebay on a 25 metre roll for about £25 with free delivery ( was a couple of years ago though)

fleece i tend to buy whenever i see it cheap, say in poundland because i have found that even the more expensive stuff breaks up after being out in the daylight for a season

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 09:13 »
I agree fleece isn't up to the job...........it disintegrates after a few months.
Debris netting (flea-bay) or environmesh (wherever you can find the best price :ohmy:)   is the way to go

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 09:52 »
It's horse for courses, and as Prakash says it's best not to use fleece where netting will provide sufficient protection as its light and water transmission is relatively poor.

Enviromesh is expensive but long lasting and much better than fleece (which is best used for frost protection rather than as season-long form of pest protection.)

The most economical solution would be cheap netting for non-brassicas, debris netting for brassicas (smaller mesh size keeps the cabbage whites out) and enviromesh just for carrots (and parsnips if you're fussy!) as carrot fly protection.

You can safely use slug bait under the netting as it won't poison other wildlife there, especially if you use the "Growing Success" version rather than the older metaldehyde formulations.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Settman

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 10:30 »
Wilkinsons are quite cheap
Is God an Alien

wannagrowveg

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 10:55 »
It's horse for courses, and as Prakash says it's best not to use fleece where netting will provide sufficient protection as its light and water transmission is relatively poor.

Enviromesh is expensive but long lasting and much better than fleece (which is best used for frost protection rather than as season-long form of pest protection.)

The most economical solution would be cheap netting for non-brassicas, debris netting for brassicas (smaller mesh size keeps the cabbage whites out) and enviromesh just for carrots (and parsnips if you're fussy!) as carrot fly protection.

You can safely use slug bait under the netting as it won't poison other wildlife there, especially if you use the "Growing Success" version rather than the older metaldehyde formulations.

I got mine from Wilkinsons too, its my 1st year so not sure how I will get on... but I'm going with Jay on this one I think :) thanks jay

timdunn

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 11:26 »
Just got some from a company called Wondermesh (South Aberdeenshire). They claim to be better than enviromesh and come in a variety of mesh sizes - not cheap, but shoudl last quite afew years and keep most nasties out!

http://www.wondermesh.co.uk/gardenpacks.htm

edit to add link
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 11:30 by mumofstig »

Bluedave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 12:42 »
Debris netting off of Fleabay for me - 50m x2m for £35 last year - got so much was giving it away to me neighbours and relatives!

« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 12:43 by Bluedave »

xx
Fleece instead of debris netting?

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 12:28
by Elcie
xx
Fleece or debris netting

Started by wendyg on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 17, 2012, 16:31
by RichardA
xx
Netting, fleece, and light?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 19, 2008, 20:01
by woodburner
xx
Insect netting and fleece sizes

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 26, 2013, 03:28
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.4 seconds with 40 queries.