Worms what work they do!

• 10 Replies

green_fingered_ash

Worms what work they do!
« on: October 02, 2009, 17:34 »
i had a fairly large container with just soil(straight from the ground) for about 2-3 years i've grown various plants in, beans tomatoes etc. i have emptied it to move it (while at it i've added some manure etc) and i noticed that from the soily top layer on the surface, this quickly faded into a fibrious layer at the bottom(tangled with roots), this is a very different substance i put into the container 3 years ago. ive added straw to the top, would the worms have eaten this and relocated it at the bottom as well as the plants roots and leaves?

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
Re: Worms what work they do!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 21:52 »
Good question. No idea though. Sorry. :(
I may take my time.....but i'll get there in the end.

STEVE

SG6

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 03:49 »
Strongly suspect they did it.
Did you see the programmes about Darwin 4-6 months back?
He spent quite some time studying worms and concluded that they were probably the most important single thing in the garden soil and agriculture.

If you have a patch of ground with stones on the top, even quite large ones, he found that over time, say 15 years, all the stones slowly disappeared under the ground ownig to the actions of worms.

They drag leaves down as food, and in one TV experiment it was shown that they could identify the pointy bit and would drag leaves down by that bit, so making it easier for them.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 04:02 »
Personally I doubt it as its unlikely worms would live in a container above ground. The container would at some point become too warm for them and they wouldn't go there. More likely its the roots stripping the soil of all its nutrients and leaving 'bare bones' of soil behind. Anything you add on top would quickly decompose on its own and remain in the upper layer.

green_fingered_ash

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 13:34 »
but towards the top was more like the soil i had added before and towards the bottom was much more fibrous, i only added stuff to the top of the soil, so the plants wouldnt move it themselves, something else must have possibly the worms? they are worms in the containers, worms seem to love to walk from a small patch of soil in the garden to the container(its about 1ft away, if even that)

savbo

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 14:15 »
many worms - especially brandlings - are quite happy in containers. the ones in my Dalek can climb right up onto the underside of the lid...

my vote is with the worms

M

diggerjoe

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 16:06 »
they do that in my compost bin as well Savbo - loads of them I have to scoop them up and drop them back in as I can't get the lid back on without squishing some. I've found worms getting into my potato growing sacks when Ive used nothing but fresh compost from a bag. How they get there is beyong me.

allstars_princess

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 21:06 »
I am with the worms as well.  They get in all sorts of places that they never started at in my garden!   

green_fingered_ash

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 12:47 »
I love worms :) natures lil helpers, they work for us...for free :)
apparently worms perfer there food on the surface rather than being turned in lol, which makes sense seeing as if you walking to the fridge you dont want to be dodging other food stuffs.

Salmo

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 13:14 »
If the pot has been untouched for 3 years I suspect that the layer is made up of roots that have died and broken down. The most likely reason for roots dying would be getting overcrowded and perishing when they have got dry/hot/cold.

viettaclark

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 14:38 »
My chooks galump and flutter at full speed (so ridiculous to watch  :D) when they see I'm carrying the kitchen waste bucket. They know I'm on my way down to the compost daleks and they'll get the slugs and wriggly red worms plastered on the underside of the lid! (And I get messy fingers!)  ::) Them there worms can get anywhere......

xx
Worms

Started by shaneyplane on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post November 12, 2014, 11:33
by Mogman
xx
Where are all my worms?

Started by Auntie Rain on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 16, 2008, 22:46
by compostqueen
xx
Worms!!

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 01, 2008, 13:09
by Cynara
xx
worms

Started by Gareth J on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 05, 2011, 12:40
by TheSpartacat

Page created in 0.503 seconds with 38 queries.