Pear Tree Help Please?

• 4 Replies

richardoram

Pear Tree Help Please?
« on: May 06, 2009, 08:39 »
Hi All, my wife and I are hoping to put a pear on the allotment. We'll have to have a small variety as it will be grown on wire (Espalier or Cordon? I never know which is which!) It will be south facing with a sunny aspect, the soil is a rich loam (lucky us!) however it does get a bit windy.

Can anybody recommend please?

Many thanks in advance

Richard

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
Re: Pear Tree Help Please?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 10:15 »
The main trouble you may find on an allotment is for a suitable pollinator to be within 100 yards.  If there isn't one then you may find that it produces little or no fruit.  It may be worth planting a second pear tree next to it.  They need to flower at the same time so the insects can pollinate them.

I wouldn't worry about the wind too much unless it is sitting in an area where the wind is funnelled which usually means stronger and more sustained winds.  If you are intending to plant one, I would do it very soon, as the window for this year has pretty much passed.  Make sure it is well watered in, and keep it watered for the first year if necessary.

My pear tree has gone crazy this year.  I will have to thin out the fruits as it looks as though it will crop very heavily.  I am lucky that there are a few pear trees within a few yards of mine.

richardoram

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 10:20 »
Thanks Jay, a comprehensive reply. Looks like we need to get on with it then! I did read about the cross pollination thing last night

R

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 10:40 »
If you choose Conference then I believe that it is self fertile so no need for a pollination partner. It's also a very widely available and reliable variety.

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 11:22 »
That is true.  Conference pears are a more like apples to grow.  I got given a big bag last autumn and they were huge !!!!  They did take a while to soften so they could be eaten though.

xx
pear tree

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 09, 2007, 20:00
by gobs
xx
pear tree

Started by white westie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 12:49
by aqua
xx
pear tree

Started by dustcartkev on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 22, 2015, 18:04
by dustcartkev
xx
pear tree

Started by alexroyall85 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 12, 2014, 13:57
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 38 queries.