"Turn off all ads".

• 22 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: "Turn off all ads".
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2021, 01:28 »
I've always felt it was a matter of balance with adverts on this site. On one hand a need for money to cover the costs and time, on the other avoiding making the the site near unviewable due to a mass of winking, blinking ads.
Although advertisers know which site has clicked on the advert and Google will present each individual with adverts tailored to them the real master of data use has to be Facebook. The depth and accuracy of targeting information is disturbing.
So, would you rather: a) see some adverts or b) pay to read content, join a forum etc.?
Or, do you really believe you can get something for nothing?
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Growster...

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2021, 07:08 »
There are a couple of ways to avoid ads, but both mean a bit of innovation...

1) Make a cardboard cut-out with a sellotaped hook at the top, and hang one down on each side of the screen! It does work, but looks ridiculous...

2) Pres 'Alt' and '+' to make all the text even bigger, until just the normal writing is on the screen, and the ads are so far away,  they fall off the screen to each side. The only downside to this, is to have to read it all from the other side of the room!

I don't really mind static ads, but the twinkling ones are annoying!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 07:09 by Growster... »

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2021, 07:10 »
I personally would rather pay a subscription.

It would have to be based on the data recovered from the sites I use over a year, or some other arbitrary "free trial" period.
The amount charged could correlate with the number of ads I have clicked on during my "free trial"

Those of us with little or no interest in consumer goods, the latest gadget or "influencers" of any description can bask in the joy of "no-ads" and a minimal subscription, whilst those of a more susceptible disposition can click away...and pay for it.

The technology is there, obviously.

Bring it on I say.
Where do I sign up?  :)

Christine

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2021, 07:12 »
Nope I don't believe any such thing but the ads are still firmly off. However I have been known to buy from the site sponsors when there's a good offer on something I want and have even been known to buy the odd book or two. Horses for courses.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2021, 09:25 »
I don't really mind static ads, but the twinkling ones are annoying!

Me too  >:(

Now and again I used to venture onto another 'popular' gardening forum, but the ads there are now at a ridiculous level, and most of them are moving/flashing ones. So I don't go there any more....

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2021, 12:26 »
Nope I don't believe any such thing but the ads are still firmly off. However I have been known to buy from the site sponsors when there's a good offer on something I want and have even been known to buy the odd book or two. Horses for courses.
So in effect, using an ad-blocker is breaking the unwritten contract between the visitor and the site. The deal is 'you may read this content so long as you are exposed to adverts' By blocking the adverts you are stealing the work of someone by depriving them of payment for it.
Incidentally, last time I bought a gardening magazine I went through and calculated 40% of the content that I had already paid £3.95 for was advertising.
I wonder where we'll be in 5 years... 

Growster...

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2021, 12:34 »
John, if you have a Waitrose nearby, and spend over £10.00 on a Saturday, you can get a free Daily Mail with so many adverts for plants, flowers etc., that you'd never need to spend that much on a gardening mag again!

You could also spend about three days wondering where to go from the thousands of holidays in all sorts of places, normally reserved for crossword addicts and people who don't garden...

;0)

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2021, 00:26 »
I have been a part of several online forums (fora?) for various interests.  They all rely on ads, or a membership fee, or a store, or all of the above.

I don't worry about seeing the ads as long as I can get past them to what I need.  The ones for Farcebook never interest me, and never will, but occasionally I see ones for goods or services that are at least worth a look.
More importantly, a little revenue from my quick view of the ad keeps the lights on and the servers operating for sites like allotment-garden.org.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

xx
Clasiscal music piano piece for Poirot's last case called "Curtains."

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post March 04, 2023, 09:38
by Goosegirl
xx
Downloading "Kon Tiki" to read.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post January 27, 2022, 18:35
by Yorkie
xx
"News" !!! To make you laugh

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post April 01, 2020, 13:08
by GraciesGran
xx
"500 words" school competition.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post September 27, 2023, 08:48
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 47 queries.