Greenhouse watering

• 3 Replies

Anton

Greenhouse watering
« on: March 30, 2017, 11:02 »
Fellow gardeners,

I hope I am not in the wrong category but I am not sure if there is a greenhouse section.
My son, who has recently acquired an industrial size greenhouse, managed to repair the water pump to extract rainwater tank and asked me should he water the earth, which is bone dry, for two hours or 30 minutes every day. How would you set about it?

Anton

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Greenhouse watering
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 19:48 »
A good soak every now and then is much better than a little sprinkle more often. It gets the water down to the roots where it is needed, whereas shallow watering encourages roots to grow nearer the surface and then be less protected from drying out than deeper-growing roots

I hope that helps a bit
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 20:00 »
I'd give it a really good soaking to start with, just to get the moisture levels up. Once you have done that just water as the plants need it.

What kind of watering system do you have? Drippers or leaky pipes?

Anton

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 08:06 »
Thanks for the replies.
I think they (son and partner) have a pipe with apertures so I suppose it would be a sprinkler system. I know they are pumping the water from a tank that collects rainwater. They moved into the house last year and are only just starting in the greenhouse, where they are allocating a spot for my tomatoes. I know nothing about greenhouse gardening, only vegetable gardens outdoors.

Anton

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 40 queries.