Best breed?

• 6 Replies

kegs

Best breed?
« on: June 21, 2011, 11:22 »
If I can persuade my hubby, I am hoping to incubate some table birds and have almost decided on Sassos.  I would like to sneak in a few pure breed eggs as well and hope that he doesn’t notice but I have no idea what breed would be best.  Can anyone recommend a breed that isn’t too flighty, is sociable, a good table bird as well as a fairly good layer and will get on with the Sassos?  Thanks.

Sassy

Re: Best breed?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 17:17 »
Light Sussex are a good dual purpose bird. However, if you want a laying bird and a table bird the feeding regimes are a little different so keeping them together would not be ideal. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Helenaj

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 09:46 »
You could try Ixworths. They are a traditional dual purpose bird that will lay an average of 150 medium sized eggs per season. I keep mine with my laying hens as I don't intend to raise them for the table and even on a layers' diet they are much bigger than my laying hens, even the pure breeds and are only 18 weeks old. I find them docile and very friendly (they love a cuddle!)and they are not flighty.

kegs

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 12:06 »
Light Sussex are a good dual purpose bird. However, if you want a laying bird and a table bird the feeding regimes are a little different so keeping them together would not be ideal. :)

Thank you but as a new poultry keeper can you explain in a bit more detail about the feeding regime.

Thanks Helen,  I'll read up on the Ixworths.

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 17:44 »
I have light sussex, the issue is that idealy you want a table bird on growers pellets, if you have birds in the same coop that are laying, they will require layers pellets. (growers are high in protien for fast growth, layers are rish in suppliments for egg production)  Keeping a laying bird on growers can cause issues with deformed eggs with thin shells etc

The chooks don’t care which they are eating so wont naturally eat the pot of food that is "for them".

If your talking about having a flock of birds that you will have eggs from then cull when needed its not such a problem.  The only problem is that dual-purpose birds can be expensive. A point of lay Sussex may cost £18, if you get a 9 week old one maybe £6 - £10.  My issue is that after feeding it for 10 weeks you will be eating quite an expensive dinner!

If you can raise day old chicks or eggs then its not such a big issue regarding cost

Edit: Re reading you post it seems the costing part of my post isnt relevent as you arep lanning to incubate! - Left it on for info any way!

Lew
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 17:47 by Lewjam »
I hate signatures but love irony

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 19:03 »
I find English Cuckoo Marans a good dual purpose bird.  You get a goodish quantity of nice coloured tasty eggs, and the boy dress out at around 5-6 lbs at around 24-30 weeks (at least mine do  :) )

I rear the boys and girls together, just on chick starter till they are around 8-10 weeks old.  The boys are then given free range in my "woodland" garden, and fed ad lib on plain wheat. 

When they look around the right size they are penned in a quiet stable, and fed for around 10-14 days on boiled wheat and rice, this makes for a more tender bird with a bit more fat, as reared my way they are almost totally fat free.

English Cuckoo Marans were originally imported as a meat bird specifically for their fine white flesh with gourmet qualities.  They are said to make a  3 lbs broiler in 12 to 14 weeks though I prefer a larger bird

All the best
Sue

Dark Brown Eggs
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

kegs

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 08:59 »
Lots to consider - many thanks for your input.  :)

xx
what is a good pure breed of chicken that is quite rare but good to breed or buy

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 28, 2009, 17:02
by Allotment_Guy
clip
what breed is this?

Started by Kym503 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 23, 2014, 08:42
by Kym503
xx
To breed or not to breed?

Started by Silkysmooth on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 16:56
by joyfull
xx
Breed

Started by Dottyaussie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 07, 2012, 20:30
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 38 queries.