New washing machine

• 10 Replies

GraciesGran

New washing machine
« on: March 15, 2024, 09:15 »
My ancient washing machine has at last given up the ghost, it was 20 years old and had given faithful service

So we go to look for a new one, I use three programmes - a very hot one for tea towels, a not quite so hot one for almost everything else and a quick one  for some delicate bits.

Now comes the problem, new machines are only slightly less complicated than a NASA space ship with variable temperatures and spin speeds.  I was delighted to know there is a special programme for my sports kit!? and also one to fluff my pillows up.

The one I chose is being delivered on Tuesday, by Wednesday I will either have lost the will to live or shrunk all my husband's clothes.

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
Re: New washing machine
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2024, 09:23 »
You might find it can be programmed to save your favourite settings. You could then have your 3 old washes & just press "1" for tea towels etc.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2024, 09:48 »
After much trial and error, I managed to find how to set mine. There's one setting where I can actually choose the temp, the length of wash and the spin speed all in one place. It took a while though.
I'm sure you'll sort out your m/c........eventually  :lol: :lol:

GraciesGran

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2024, 16:11 »
Im calling in the cavalry, my grandson.  I've explained the problem and he is coming to sort it out - never ceases to amaze me what the promise of roast chicken can do

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2024, 09:53 »
Don't blame you Gracie - I'm still getting to grips with a Smart TV where I get all sorts showing at the top of the screen for which I haven't the slightest bit of interest. All I want is the news channel and to play a DVD from either the beginning or from where I left off the previous night. Jolly good picture though!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2024, 15:03 »
My machine has all sorts of options, but I only use a handful of them.  I have a preferred cycle for most things, which I run on low temperature, fairly high spin and Eco mode.  It pays to get a decent laundry liquid and wash on a cool wash in my view.  It can also be a lot cheaper to buy a laundry disinfectant and use that rather than boil wash for items you are worried about e.g. tea towels. I also have a quick/delicates preferred cycle I use on low spin speed now and then. 

The rest of the NASA space ship technology passes me by  :lol:

My advice would be learn to do the things you need to on your new machine and worry about the rest if you ever feel the need to complicate the laundry  ;)

hamstergbert

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2024, 18:53 »
When Mrs HGB was first struck down we had a zanussi washer/drier machine that allowed me to pop towels in on drier and then when ready whether ten mins later or whatever I could stop it, open the lid, take out the lovely warm towels and they were lovely for the bed baths etc.
Luckily we have in the intervening decade (Strewth) progressed to wheel in shower etc and the quick towel heat is less of an issue.  Just as well.  The zanussi gave up the ghost and was replaced with a samsung washer drier, and very nice it is too (although fastest spin is 1400 instead of the old zanussi 1600 almost iron ready spin).  Quite simply couldn't provide hot towels now if needed as if we try the samsung warns that the thing is hot and refuses to open until it has cooled down thus kind of missing the point.  Presumably the samsung legal department suggested they set it that way to avoid being sued by someone who hadn't realised a hot drier might contain something hot. 
THe samsung book of words is a nightmare and way too complicated but like GraciesGran I find I am only using the same couple or three of programs anyway.
Double whammy far as I am concerned - over complicated range of settings allied to a nanny mentality that removes adult responsibility for assessing risk.
Corrugated iron tub with a dolly-posser was the peak of dhobeying technology far as I am concerned!
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

GraciesGran

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2024, 06:28 »
Roast chicken = washing machine sorted. Three programmes worked out, my husband's t-shirts came out the same size as when they went in! 

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2024, 09:36 »
My AEG has various programmes but I use the delicates one. Why? Because it washes at 40 C and only takes about 1 hr. 20 mins whereas the other ones are at 30 C and are much longer. I then put it on spin which goes up to 1,600 r.p.m. There's only me here so it works for me. Not sure just how economical it is though.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2024, 21:21 »
Been there… done that, Gran.  I basically use 1 of about a dozen programs on my new machine and just alter the temperature a bit.  And as for controlling it from my phone ……   :ohmy: you have to be joking  :wacko:

jaydig

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2024, 16:29 »
I wouldn't worry too much. My new machine can probably do everything including cooking the lunch and washing up afterwards, but I tend to only use two programmes.  A very hot one for whites, cottons etc., and a 30 degree one for everything else.

xx
Washing machine instructions

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post November 18, 2020, 12:57
by mrs bouquet
xx
Tens Machine ?

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

12 Replies
Last post March 05, 2020, 12:16
by mrs bouquet
xx
Washing Lines

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post October 18, 2023, 17:08
by wighty

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 50 queries.