white rot on onions

• 9 Replies

crackedflowerpots

white rot on onions
« on: June 14, 2008, 06:09 »
some of our onions have white rot, if i cut off all yucky bits can we still eat them or will we die? :cry:
if it grows, it grows! if it doesnt ,, ah well .. there's always next year. :-)

vegmandan

white rot on onions
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 13:51 »
I certainly wouldn't eat them.

Here's a bit of depressing info taken from the RHS about white rot.

Infected plants often die before maturity. Above ground onion leaves wilt progressively before collapsing, although this symptom may not be so obvious in other alliums. Underground bulbs are rotten at the base and covered with a fluffy white mould.

Cause
Onion white rot is a most serious disease of the onion family because it is nearly impossible to eradicate the dormant stage from the soil. It is caused by a fungus which spreads from plant to plant by contact between roots and bulbs, and is capable of surviving in the soil for up to 15 years, during which time it can infect any onion or onion relative planted in its presence.

Prevention
Practise a three or four year crop rotation. If the infection is diagnosed do not grow susceptible plants in that area of the garden again.

Non-chemical control
Removing infected plants and increasing the space between host plants will help to reduce the severity of the disease. Destroy infected plants by burning or putting them in sealed bags in the dustbin. Do not compost infected material.

Sorry for ruining your day. :oops:

willnbirdie

• Experienced Member
white rot on onions
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 11:36 »
Hi

All sympathy to you - we have just found white rot in our garden - first year on the allotment - and all of the onions have been affected - now they have all been dug up and destroyed.  Garlic also affected and leeks apparently suffer too so they have come out even before showing any signs of trouble.

They were all located within a 6m area so we are guessing that the whole garden is affected.

We have a large planter that we are hoping to grown onions or leeks in next year - we are not sure if the soil in there is affected but as we planted some garlic in there we are going to wait and see if it gets it too.  If not we have a home for a small amount of onions and/or leek next year.

It's really disappointing but guess that's just the way it goes I posted about this a week or so ago and the general opinion is to dig 'em up and destroy them

Sorry

willnnirdie

redwinepizza

white rot on onions
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 19:04 »
New allotment this year, just found 4 with white rot,damnshitandblast!
Just a thought, if I dig down about a foot and refill with top soil from somewhere else, will I be ok? Don't want to give this plot up as it's a cracker, loads of sun, near a tap and everything else is looking great.

crackedflowerpots

white rot on onions
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 19:48 »
:roll:  we put spinach seedlings out a few weeks ago and its about 8 inches tall and already gone to seed!!!!! we are not having much luck this year ... stiil less time watering veg more time 'watering' us :lol:  swings and roundabouts!

willnbirdie

• Experienced Member
white rot on onions
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 20:02 »
Hi

As we understand it - once it's in the soil unless you are extremeley careful ie disintect tools etc - chances are your garden has got it.  We have realised - thanks mostly to the replies here - that it is best to give it up as a bad job and accept that we cannot grow onions unless we specifically set up some planters with fresh soil next year - it really is a pain in the rear end - and that's a polite version of how we feel.

sorry

willnbirdie

crackedflowerpots

white rot on onions
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 20:12 »
we will read up on advice during autumn and winter and try to make necessary adjustments next spring but bet yer bottom dollar we will be back with other veg problems :roll:
by the way ... we cut off yucky bits of onion and ate them on friday, we aint dead yet .... but if we do die due to white onion rot, we want the tomb stone to say .... REST IN PEAS!!!! :wink:

vegmandan

white rot on onions
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 20:12 »
I have heard on the grapevine that drenching the area you want to grow onions in with Jeyes Fluid can kill off the problem.

I don't know whether this is absolutely true or if you'd want to do that anyway. :shock:

It might be worth investigating anyway. :D

gobs

white rot on onions
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 20:26 »
Quote from: "vegmandan"
I have heard on the grapevine that drenching the area you want to grow onions in with Jeyes Fluid can kill off the problem.

I don't know whether this is absolutely true or if you'd want to do that anyway. :shock:

It might be worth investigating anyway. :D

You might not want to advertise this idea as it's not legal any more to use it for soil disinfection.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

vegmandan

white rot on onions
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 20:53 »
Investigation over.

Better not do it then. :oops:

xx
ONIONS - White rot ????

Started by birmancats on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 19, 2008, 18:00
by birmancats
xx
white rot on my onions?

Started by bigsprouts on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 26, 2008, 14:05
by Aunt Sally
xx
ONIONS RED ? OR WHITE ?

Started by BARNACLE BILL on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 18, 2015, 20:32
by compostqueen
xx
Red Onions. White Rot

Started by Jamboian on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 25, 2013, 12:54
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 37 queries.