Red Clover as a green manure

• 11 Replies

arh

Red Clover as a green manure
« on: February 19, 2017, 09:13 »
I'm thinking of sowing red clover in my cauli/brussels section,( or, should I put it in the pea/bean section, or both) as a green manure and to deter the weeds. Does anyone do this?, and can anyone give me advice about doing it, (or not doing it), and are they deep rooting? Thanks for any comments. arh

Christine

Re: Red Clover as a green manure
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 09:51 »
I've used red clover as a green manure. Given its head it grows vibrantly if left and is super for attracting pollinators. I'd not be planting it where I want to crop in the next few months as it doesn't wilt easily and I found it not easy to turn in - prefer to compost it myself but then I do have a huge composting space near a hedge where crops won't grow (keeping the hedge down lets the sun in and the heap covered lets it rot down with not a lot of effort).

arh

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 11:32 »
Thank you for that, Christine, I was planning to put it in the brassica patch, with "collars" round the vegetables to stop it crowding them, then turn the whole lot over after the brussels have finished. What does everyone think?

Christine

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 19:57 »
Nah  :D  :lol: - put it somewhere else - once it gets going it will make good cover for slugs and snails methinks.

arh

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 08:01 »
Good point hun, methinks it may stay in the packet!!, thank you. arh

seaotter

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 21:44 »
I use crimson clover as green manure, usually sowed in September. Red clover is weedy. At least here on Canada's west coast, but I expect it's the same in the UK.

arh

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 07:54 »
Thank you Seaotter, (lovely name, by the way, oh how I wish I was back in Washington State). I think I will also wait till the fall before I plant the clover. arh

Robster

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 11:16 »
I'm going to use crimson clover this year on the paths that I walk on between the beds. I'm after the roots to bind the soil together and something for the pollinators as well and that I don't mind walking on.

Puenktchen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 12:30 »
I would not grow green manure and vegetables together in the same bed as most green manures including red clover are too vigorous. I think it is always better to leave the area around vegetables clear of any other plants to reduce competition (and slug damage as already mentioned). As red clover is a perennial I would assume it is not easy to get rid off once it is established.

victoria park

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 16:42 »
I'm going to use crimson clover this year on the paths that I walk on between the beds. I'm after the roots to bind the soil together and something for the pollinators as well and that I don't mind walking on.

What an excellent idea. Never thought of that. Once it's up and running it's tough stuff.
A sort of chamomile lawn thing.  :)
That could really work, and potentially more beneficial than my woodchip thing. I tend to snake, wind and move some of my paths every couple of years. Food for thought. Thanks Robster.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 16:49 by victoria park »

arh

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 07:56 »
Thank you for that idea Robster, I think I'll do that as well, sow it between the rows where i will walk up and down weeding the veggies, then in the fall, turn it all over. Hmm, worth a thought.

al78

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 13:05 »
I would not grow green manure and vegetables together in the same bed as most green manures including red clover are too vigorous. I think it is always better to leave the area around vegetables clear of any other plants to reduce competition (and slug damage as already mentioned). As red clover is a perennial I would assume it is not easy to get rid off once it is established.

I have found white clover and trefoil worked fine when broadcast around brassicas. They are both low growing and the clover adds nitrogen to the soil. The foliage helps stop the soil drying out during summer, and smothers any weeds that might think about popping up. As for slug damage, that is going to happen anyway without any preventative measures, and a cover crop is as likely to provide shelter for slug predators as for slugs.

xx
Green Compost (Green Manure)

Started by Dirt Diver on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 16:38
by Dirt Diver
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium
xx
Green Manure and Animal Manure

Started by AllotmentTom19 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 22:47
by Muddylou
xx
Green manure vs animal manure

Started by Jai on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 14:25
by Trillium

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 39 queries.