Three sisters Garden

• 12 Replies

clarebear

• Experienced Member
    • http://thewindowshopaholic.blogspot.com/2008_08_01_archive.html
Three sisters Garden
« on: September 23, 2007, 21:46 »
Just trying to think of ideas for planting next year. Have been searching through old posts and have seen reference to a three sisters garden. Have I got the right idea? It's sweetcorn, peas and squashes, right?

Has anyone done this? Can anyone give me any information? When is a good time to start planting? What are the best varieties to use?

Sorry lots of quesions. It just seems like such an interesting idea and I think tidly wink will love it.
I don't have a drink problem. I drink, I get drunk, I pass out. No Problem.

muntjac

Three sisters Garden
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 21:48 »
search three sisters again clare and look at all the posts there is a mass of info there for you to peruse at your leisure  :)
still alive /............

WG.

Three sisters Garden
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 21:49 »
This subject got a fair airing earlier this year and, as I recall, was considered largely inappropriate for the UK climate.

Have a search though : please see http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?p=86593#86593 Use three sister* for keywords.

sweet nasturtium

Three sisters Garden
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 21:54 »
It's also sometimes called the trinity.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Three sisters Garden
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 21:58 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
This subject got a fair airing earlier this year and, as I recall, was considered largely inappropriate for the UK climate.

Smack on - as usual.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Three sisters Garden
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 09:23 »
I'll third the conclusion - tried it twice now and neither time has it worked out for me.  If I was growing in southern Spain probably be different as it was developed by indians in the SW USA...
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

gobs

Three sisters Garden
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 10:01 »
Dear Clearbear,

All that said and being so, let that not put you off from growing these crops, which of course won't support your livelihood as much as it did that of the south-american Indians.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

clarebear

• Experienced Member
    • http://thewindowshopaholic.blogspot.com/2008_08_01_archive.html
Three sisters Garden
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 14:49 »
Well I've had a search though and it all seems rather interesting. I think I am going to give it a shot, if only for my son to learn abit of culture.

Thanks for the replies.

paintedlady

Three sisters Garden
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 15:58 »
I sort of tried the 3 sisters idea this year - the squash (instead of pumpkin which is just as well) climbed up the sweetcorn and got top heavy, the beans disappeared and so much for the pumpkin/squash crowding out the weeds - I seem to have more than ever before. :?

Perhaps it was the weather as it was unusually wet!
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

deneview

Three sisters Garden
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 09:01 »
i planted pumpkins- mars, in amongst my sweetcorn- about 8 x 8plant block- 3 pumpkin plants and 1 butternut squash(did nothiing) the pumpkins have kept the weeds down but i felt that may have hindered early growth of the sweet corn and the yield from plants close to where pumpkins were planted seems less . dont think beans would work well though has they tend to come late up here and would be out competed by the romping pumpkins.

Rhuby

Three sisters Garden
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 16:41 »
Hi Clare(thats actually my name too)
I tried sweetcorn with a b.squash and basically the squash got mildue/fungal thing due to all the rain and not getting enough sun to dry out because of the corn over shadowing.
I wont be doing that again and I cant even imagine growing beans as well!!
Organic

brinylon

Three sisters Garden
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 21:49 »
A complete * and will not do it again. I finally have 3 golf ball size butternut and got 3 acorn squash. Beans were okay but difficult to pick and I got no corn whatsoever (well after my in laws nicked the only cobb). They either went mouldy, or the stems got bent by corn and squash. Then the squirrels came a day or so after the in laws and made off with the last two.

sweet nasturtium

Three sisters Garden
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 23:06 »
I did it this year but improvised and didn't space them properly or plant them on mounds.

I'm sure it would work but I guess it's all in the planting times - I got the corn to grow first and planted the beans in the ground later.  I got mixed up (again) and put courgette in instead of pumpkin and that needed more light.  But I'll try again next year.  I'll start all the seeds off in pots and transplant them when they are around the same size so one plant doesn't dominate.

xx
three sisters

Started by doubledug on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 13, 2010, 20:53
by zazen999
xx
Three Sisters

Started by Stree on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 30, 2012, 23:52
by Stree
xx
The Three Sisters

Started by Composto on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 18, 2011, 11:02
by Aunt Sally
xx
3 Sisters

Started by Lupin lurcher on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 19:21
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 36 queries.