Growing in a greenhouse help

• 5 Replies

cjskts

Growing in a greenhouse help
« on: January 10, 2011, 00:20 »
We have an 8x6 greenhouse. We got it in late spring last year, so it was after we had the chance to grow anything in it other than the tomatoes.

So, can i chit potatoes in there and start seeds off? its unheated so i dont know if it will be too cold. I am hoping that i can do some in there to save the house being taken over again like last year. We have plenty of shelving etc, but i just wasnt sure if it was too cold to do stuff outside.

Nikkithefoot

Re: Growing in a greenhouse help
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 00:27 »
Unless its heated I personally wouldn't use it to chit my potatoes as there is a real risk of frost killing them off, especially where you are living. It also wouldn't be any use for seeds that require heat to germinate.
I guess it depends what else you want to grow.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 04:51 »
As Nikki.

I chit my spuds in the greenhouse, but have just enough heat to keep the frost off, later on I will wind it up a bit to raise things like flower seeds that need a bit more warmth, without being over the top and then move the tomatoes in there about April time that have been growing inside the house.

In a couple of months, you should be able to start off things like leeks & brassicas with no heat, but without any, you are quite limited to the very hardy stuff.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 09:11 »
Suggest you get a Max / Min thermometer so you know how cold it is getting in there (ideally get another for outside too, so you can see how many degrees the greenhouse will retain).

As the days get longer, and warmer, the greenhouse will warm up more ... so at night it has more heat to "lose" before it gets down to the temperature outside ... and by the time it is getting to dangerous levels dawn is breaking and temperatures outside will be rising again.

In the depths of winter cold and frost lasts for days, so not so good - and that's likely to be a problem for your spuds.

In the recent cold snap my thermometer in the glasshouse went down to -6C - outside was -10C - that would have finished off any seed spuds though!

(I'm assuming Glass? if your have a polythene tunnel that will hold temperature less well)

cjskts

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 12:38 »
Thanks everyone.

Yes, its glass. We were up there yesterday and it was 10oc in the greenhouse which feels tropical! lol. Outside was 5oc.

So i think i'll just bring all the shelving we have (its that green one Wilko's sold so dismantles easy) and set it all up in spare back bedroom. At least it'll be out of my kitchen then. lol

thecakebaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 14:43 »
As everyone on hear says unless you have heating for the greenhouse you would be waiting your time trying to grow anything.

I grow 1000s of flower seeds starting November but I do have gas heater in mine. I have just started some of my veg seeds off this weekend.

xx
Greenhouse growing

Started by mumsflowerpot on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 02, 2007, 17:02
by Sally A
xx
Greenhouse growing

Started by scabs on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 16:58
by mumofstig
xx
growing mush in my greenhouse

Started by savbo on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 08, 2010, 12:58
by mumofstig
xx
Growing under greenhouse staging

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 10:08
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 32 queries.