Growing nettles for the greenhouse!

• 9 Replies

Totty

Growing nettles for the greenhouse!
« on: April 02, 2013, 20:10 »
I have decided to plant up a small fresh clump of "stingers" and grow them on in a large greenhouse that is to be the home for cucumbers this year. I know we usually curse them in the garden when they grow somewhere inconvenient but with the pull they have on beneficial insects as well as distracting the pests, I think it could work a treat. Has anyone else tried this?

Totty

Cake Lady

• Experienced Member
    • The Allotment Good Life
Re: Growing nettles for the greenhouse!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 20:28 »
Not tried it myself, but I'm thinking of growing a small patch to make some nettle tea fertiliser!  You can combine it with comfrey tea to make a good all round/ general purpose fertiliser so I'm told!  :)

I'd be interested to know more about them attracting beneficial stuff & distracting the pests though.

allot2learn

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 20:35 »
Good idea, but I can think of better uses for greenhouse space which is usually at a premium. They grow happilly on a piece of poor ground out of the way.

Totty

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 21:07 »
Good idea, but I can think of better uses for greenhouse space which is usually at a premium. They grow happilly on a piece of poor ground out of the way.
I'm very lucky in that area so can make room for some for sure.
They grow well in nutrient rich soil and although they seem to grow everywhere, they won't thrive on poor soil.

Cake Lady,  nettles attract aphids, and nettles just so happen to be THE favourite place for ladybirds to breed and thrive. Win win

Totty

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 23:19 »
If you let them grow at the plot margins you will still get the benefit from them and the insect life will appreciate them.  I keep them under control round the edge of the plot and have them near my compost bins.  You could always put some near the door of your greenhouse or PT but maybe in a container so that the roots are contained, like you would with mint  :)  If you want plants for beneficial insects in your greenhouse or PT you could plant marigolds etc which aren't invasive like nettles  :)

Nettles are edible too don't forget and make an interesting soup or quiche, not to mention lovely beer.  Nettle and dandelion beer is lovely  :)  My mother used to make it in the copper  :D

Totty

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 16:58 »
Have potted up three today. Going to sit them by the door of the greenhouses and see what happens!

Totty

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 16:52 »
just catching up on old threads and this is interesting.
Tho I have never grown for them for this reason I do have a bed which I use a lot in cooking, we have become a big fan of nettles, I use them in soups and even in pasta like spinach.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Totty

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 17:34 »
Had one little nettle seedling that I planted up and looks fine. The slightly larger plants that I dug out of a clump look ropey now. Well see how they get on.

Totty

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 18:03 »

You have the trouble of the benificial insects having to find their way into and out of the greenhouse.

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Totty

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 21:03 »
There are beneficial insects in greenhouses all the time. If the pests find the way in so will they.

Totty

xx
Greenhouse growing

Started by scabs on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 16:58
by mumofstig
xx
Growing in a greenhouse help

Started by cjskts on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 10, 2011, 14:43
by thecakebaker
xx
Greenhouse growing

Started by mumsflowerpot on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 02, 2007, 17:02
by Sally A
xx
Growing under greenhouse staging

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 10:08
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 33 queries.