Fox Attack 7.15 this morning

• 20 Replies

ehs284

Re: Fox Attack 7.15 this morning
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 08:00 »
Chickenlicken,
From your photos, it seems that you have a well fenced area. The solid wooden fence give protection to the fox and a sense of security. Can you work out how it got in (under/over etc)? If it got over the top, perhaps a word with your neighbours about putting an overhang on the fence. You seem to have boxes (or something) near the fence; this will give a jumping place for the fox. Do your neighbours have a similar place on the other side? The sonic machine looks good, but the fox would have to get into your garden for it to work - also would it upset legitimate dogs? I've no idea but worth asking before spending.

chickenlicken

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 13:08 »
Hi Thanks for reply.  Yes the area was great for them to wander about, that is what we will miss most now but we are planning to build a really big aviary style enclosure which will still enable us to go in with them I hope. 
I think the fox came over the fence behind the she and unfortunately there isn't any way of putting an overhang there but certainly will consider it for the fence between the gardens.

One of the hens is now back in the run and doing really well although much quieter than she was before but laying again.  The other one is still caged and can't stand so she just lies slightly on her side.  I am bathing her every day as she gets very messy at the back end but am really worried that she may never stand?  The vet said her legs seemed fine so is it likely to be the injury/shock that is preventing her, I am assuming it is as I guess if she doesn't make a full recovery we can't keep her like this?

Does anyone have any experience of nursing an injured hen, what are the chances of her standing/walking again if she has made no effort so far?  She is eating/drinking really well, still has red comb and is alert but is clearly still very sore and uncomfortable and has terrible bruising.

Thanks
Tracey

Honeysuckle

• Experienced Member
  • Kira & Bruin
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 18:43 »
After Josephine was attacked by a fox, she couldn't stand at all.  She was checked over and there were no visible signs of injury and no signs of broken bones.  We kept Josephine initially in a washing basket in the bathroom with food and water just within beak reach  ::) After a week or so she would stand but only for a few seconds but it was an improvement.  ;) ;)

We transferred her into a big dog wire crate along with the guinea fowl that was hurt in the attack.  Josephine would prop herself up against the side to stand for any length of time but could also take a couple of steps to get food and water.   :D

After about 4 weeks we transferred them both to our 'hospital' coop where she had more room to walk around and by the time we put her back with all the others at approximately 6 weeks after the attack, she had a very slight limp.  She started laying just before going back to the others and is now one very, very happy chook!  :tongue2: The guinea fowl is good too....  :nowink:

It's a test of patience I'm afraid.   ::)
2 German Shepherds, Kira & Bruin, 4 hybrid chicks Chryssie, Violet, Sweet Pea and Astra.

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 21:08 »
No advice I'm afraid just wanted to say so sorry to hear your sad news. Hopefully your remaining girls recover soon x

daisy1990

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2011, 10:12 »
perhaps consider an electric fence if you can?  We have one around our eight chickens, four rabbits and guinea pig and it seems to work well (we back on to miles of open fields and have seen fox fur snagged on the stile that leads from our garden into the field so  one has tried to get in, but thankfully the electric fence has done its job
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

jackieand glenn

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2011, 22:04 »
so sorry to hear about your chooks, im no expert but maybe this will help. we get our chook feed etc from a old farmer near us, whos had and breed chooks for years. he lives in country where foxes are everywhere. i asked him if he had any problem with foxes getting them. he said he has an old radio near the pens, left on, the foxes dont go near as they hear voices and think someones about. i havent tried it yet but am thinking of doing so as soon as i can get one. sometimes the old tricks are the best. just thought its worth and try. hope alls well now and the fox leaves you alone.

sad
Dog attack

Started by judrop on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 15:42
by Hayley'sHens
xx
omg fox attack

Started by ganner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 31, 2012, 20:42
by RigsVilleBird
xx
fox attack

Started by craig1981 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post September 27, 2011, 08:02
by shetan
xx
Fox Attack - HELP!

Started by chickenlittle80 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 20, 2016, 18:04
by Sassy

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 39 queries.