Fruit problems

• 10 Replies

fletch

• Experienced Member
Fruit problems
« on: June 20, 2007, 21:45 »
Now that I've had this allotment for 2 months the phrase "bitten off more than I can chew" is definitely springing to mind.
It's a mature plot with lots of goodies on it already, especially fruit trees and bushes.
The problem is, I have no clue about fruit and am now experiencing quite a few problems. E.g. there are two espaliered (sp?) pears. One dropped the few fruits it had and the other looks like it will do the same in the near future.
The edible cherry had tons of fruit that slowly detiorated and has now almost all disappeared, all the strawberries have been eaten or rotted, one apple tree is burgeoning with fruit, the other has none.. etc. etc.

Moan over, can anyone recommended a good book or something that is specifically for fruit? i have a couple of good veg books which see me through but they don't touch on fruit.

As with the rest of the lottie I am prepared to learn by my mistakes this year but I would like to get things right next year if I can.
Thanks

Fletch

P.s. what exacly do you DO with tons of redcurrants?  :shock:
First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

Ice

• muck spreader
Fruit problems
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 22:08 »
Don't panic Fletch.  it's easy to feel inadequate and be put off in your first season by huge mistakes and failures.  This is my third season growing and I have learned so much from books and this forum.  Still making huge mistakes but the sense of achievement far outweighs the occasional failure.  Stay with it, don't punish yourself for not knowing everything in your first season and give yourself time to learn. :wink:
Cheese makes everything better.

WG.

Fruit problems
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 22:24 »
Try The Fruit Expert : by DG Hessayon.  Amazon have it.

I wish I had tons of redcurrants - they make great jelly (or jam).  Beetroot pickle in redcurrant jelly - YUM!

corndolly

• Experienced Member
Fruit problems
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 22:30 »
You are lucky ! all our redcurrants have been eaten by birds before they turned red, so now just freeze them till you decide what to do next. I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestuions such as jelly or add to jams cos they will help any fruit jam to set.
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

fletch

• Experienced Member
Fruit problems
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 22:44 »
Thanks for the replies.
WG, I remember that Hessayon range now, I will look it up.

Corndolly, you are right, I am very lucky. I hope I didn't sound like a whinger! I am really grateful for what I have inherited.
The plot is fantastic, it has apples (5, all different), pears, a cherry, plums (2), red/white and blackcurrants, a gooseberry, strawberries and raspberries (2 varieties), I even uncovered a small fig tree the other day, swamped under long grass.

So now you can see why it is so daunting, it was great until a few weeks ago but then problems have started appearing and I just don't have the knowledge to deal with it.

Hopefully  a couple of good books and I'll be sorted..........and thankfully I like jam!!
And redcurrant jelly. Why didn't I think of that? Doh  :shock:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Fruit problems
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 13:37 »
I'd go for the fruit expert too, some apple trees can get into a cycle of glut year then no fruit the next, though I can't remember why off the top of my head. Also take a note of where abouts on your apples they are bearing fruit,  some apples are tip bearing instead of spur bearing and your pruning will have to reflect that.

Good luck and don't give up it just takes time, n' patience,
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

jackiestagg

• Experienced Member
Fruit problems
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 19:28 »
the RHS book 'The Fruit GArden Displayed' is brill but possibly out of print... try amazon

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
Fruit problems
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 19:38 »
Quote from: "corndolly"
You are lucky ! all our redcurrants have been eaten by birds before they turned red, so now just freeze them till you decide what to do next. I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestuions such as jelly or add to jams cos they will help any fruit jam to set.

Not much help for this year  :roll:  but we we covered the bush with some greenhouse shading just while the currants were ripening (a couple of weeks), so the birds didn't get any!  It's way denser than the usual net, and the bush itself seemed fine.  Just support the net with a few canes with balls on top...

fletch

• Experienced Member
Fruit problems
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 22:24 »
Thanks for the tip WG, the book arrived yesterday and is a really good book. In fact, it looks like a really good series of books..........

Money money money  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Fruit problems
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 22:34 »
Wish I had more fruit trees.  I've got 2 blueberries that have done diddly squat in the 3 years I've had them, no fruit this year at all.  My 3 year old gooseberry has one gooseberry on it and saw fly or something, even though I kept it covered for ages.  I've never had any blossom on one of my 4 year old plum trees, the other one had several blossoms, but only 1 plum coming.  My 4 year old pear has never blossomed, my 4 year old duo apple has its first proper apples this year, the ones it had last year all dropped of when marble sized.  The only thing that is doing anything, is the 4 year old blackcurrant that we found growing in the old patio.  Nearly chucked it as I thought it was a weed, and its now HUGE!!!!  The birds beat me to the bit of fruit last year, but I covered it with netting this year and have picked 1lb of fruit so far this past week, and lots more coming along

fletch

• Experienced Member
Fruit problems
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 23:26 »
I harvested the one gooseberry bush I have yesterday...........

I filled a Tesco carrier to almost 3/4 full  :D  I was astounded.

They've all been top and tailed and gone in the freezer.

Their final destination??

Gooseberry and ginger wine !!   :D  :D  :D

xx
fruit tree problems

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 06, 2018, 19:41
by Gardener and Rabbit
xx
Problems with growing veg and fruit - pests etc

Started by cc85 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 21, 2008, 01:13
by gobs
xx
Cherry tree and fruit problems.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2019, 09:27
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Fruit Trees - Are they difficult to grow ? Pests and problems ?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 23, 2009, 09:37
by garddwr

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 35 queries.