Introducing a puppy to house rabbits....

• 3 Replies

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
Introducing a puppy to house rabbits....
« on: February 15, 2013, 16:05 »
Does anyone have any advice about introducing a new puppy to established house rabbits? The buns are about 5 years old and are used to ruling the roost. They have a large secure cage that is their "burrow" in the kitchen and are let out to free range when we are in the kitchen to keep an eye on them. The puppy with be around 4 months old when we get her and is a fox terrier. Yes I know - not the ideal dog to have with rabbits!

I am planning to train the puppy so it will not harass the rabbits in their cage and am not anticipating that they will ever be allowed to free range together. However when we came back from seeing the puppy the rabbits picked up on her scent and were in a huff for an hour or two. Interesting seeing as they have never been upset by smelling other dogs on us before (including other terriers). I am planning on keeping them visually separated until they get used to each others scent and then gradually bringing the dog cage closer to the rabbit cage until they are happy to ignore each other. I think that this is the best I can expect?

Any advice would be appreciated!

(and then there is the matter of introducing her to the chickens...!)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Introducing a puppy to house rabbits....
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 17:47 »
The puppy with be around 4 months old when we get her and is a fox terrier. Yes I know - not the ideal dog to have with rabbits!

Funnily enough, our rescue Terrier came to live with us his 4th home at 4 months old - my avatar - 16 years ago and we had a house rabbit then. We made sure that there was a lot of fuss made of both at the same time, sitting on the floor holding one to each side, each getting plenty attention, just letting them get used to each other as each was unused to the other. The rabbit had his hutch indoors and used to go into it at night so we also used to make carrot sticks to poke through the cage front and they would nibble from either end a la Lady and the Tramp.  :wub:

Re Terrier and chickens... it isn't the most classically good combination, but when we moved here and got our chickens, our boy was an angel and it was only when we got the naughty Border Collie pup that we had any problem with the chickens being harrassed.

This may be useful, but perhaps we were just very lucky to have had such a special little dog, which had such a bad start in life,  come to live with us for a while.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 10:02 »
Start with the pup on a lead close to the rabbits/chickens let them sniff if the dog is fully calm and gentle give loads of praise and treat if the dog gets over excited use a command eg leave it and get the pups attention. When the pup has all attention on you then give the treat. Try and end all first introductions on a good/calm note. Gradually extend the lead using the same techniques hopefully after some time the dog chooks and rabbits can live in harmony with supervision. I own 3 dogs 1 of which is a husky and hes still very young when he first met the chooks I thought oh dear what have I done he was fixated lol, now he  :).  can come out with the chooks and 99% of the time hes fine but I do still keep a short lead on him in case I need to grab him quick but touch wood I never have, The other 2 dogs have never been an issue so you may be lucky. Also holding the rabbits and letting the dog sniff will teach that they are yours and not to be harmed have someone else praising the pup for good calm interaction. Just always be calm and consitent yourself. Good luck  :)

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 13:16 »
Thanks both of you - that is reassuring/really helpful. I like the Lady and the Tramp idea!
Our buck house rabbit already has the hens in his fan club - they line up and flirt with him through the netting (much to the cockerel's disgust) as I think they think he is one of them (he's black like them and rather handsome). They ignore the doe although she only has eyes for my OH   :D

xx
Introducing rabbits

Started by Mulberry1990 on Pets without Feathers

4 Replies
Last post August 10, 2010, 12:37
by Mulberry1990
xx
Puppy will not eat puppy food

Started by wendyg on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post November 28, 2011, 13:37
by arugula
xx
Our JRT puppy

Started by Green man on Pets without Feathers

1 Replies
Last post January 13, 2014, 17:39
by snow white
xx
Puppy!!!!

Started by YoungChickenLover on Pets without Feathers

16 Replies
Last post November 26, 2012, 15:32
by Oliveview

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 28 queries.