Green Manure

• 2 Replies

Will1983

Green Manure
« on: July 04, 2010, 22:41 »
hi ive done a search and drawn a bit of a blank.

the bed i plan to put potatoes in next year has had onions, courgettes and carrots in this year but im not sure which green manure to sow to over winter.

i plan to cover the bed with well rotted manure once the last of the plants have been removed so alfalfa is out as apparently it doesnt like acid soils. but which will suit it?

also if an overwintered green manure species falls within one of the major veg groups, ie brassica, legume, should it be the same as the previous crop in the bed or the same as the next crop to go in there??  or doesnt it matter??

the soil on my plot hasnt been worked for quite a number of years so lacks humus. the manure should help to fix this but i thought a green manure would help push things along a bit quicker.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Green Manure
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 22:46 »
Afraid I can't help on the rotation question but if you have club root on the plot then avoid mustard - it's part of the brassica family.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Zippy

Re: Green Manure
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 22:57 »
Winter Tares is a legume which will fix nitrogen in the bed ready for your potatoes next year. It is a hardy plant which will survive winter very well.

Why not use a green manure on your bed over winter without the manure then sheet mulch the bed with well rotted manure (I would use well rotted compost myself) in spring. This way you won't need to dig in the green manure as the compost will mulch it out and you can just trowel your seed potatoes straight in under the mulch.

Be warned though - some of my ideas are a bit strange to some more conventional gardeners!

xx
Green Compost (Green Manure)

Started by Dirt Diver on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 16:38
by Dirt Diver
xx
Green Manure and Animal Manure

Started by AllotmentTom19 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 22:47
by Muddylou
xx
Green manure vs animal manure

Started by Jai on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 14:25
by Trillium
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium

Page created in 0.415 seconds with 38 queries.