My ferret :(

• 7 Replies

Thingy

• Experienced Member
  • Budding Animal Behaviourist :)
My ferret :(
« on: March 17, 2011, 19:19 »
I had my ferret put to sleep the other day

She was suffering so much and I know it was the best thing for her but I'm struggling a bit to come to terms with the fact I made the decision to end it.

I had her since she was a kit. Probably around 8 weeks old, and she was 7 when she died. I'm a bit lost without her. I keep putting chicken aside for her, and telling myself that i need to feed her, and that I need to build her a new run. I saw her deodourising shampoo and broke down.

I miss her so much, and noone understands. They say, it was just a ferret and I should stop talking about it.

I'm a bit lost

RIP my Nonny. Run Free xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
When the wolf lays with the lamb, I fear for us all

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: My ferret :(
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 19:23 »
She was as dear to you as a cat or dog is to anyone else.  I don't subscribe to the 'its just a pet' line.  They become a huge part of our lives with their characters, monopolising our attention and making us laugh.

When they've been part of our life for a good time it's bound to hurt.  But you know you made the right decision for her and that's what being a loving owner is all about at the end. 

Hope it gets better soon for you :(
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 19:34 »
Of course the death of an animal that you have kept for 7 years will leave a huge hole in your life.  There's no "just a ferret" about it.  You have to grieve and come to acceptance - would you have wanted to save yourself the pain by never having the animal? No!! Me neither.  I cry about pets deaths, friends pets deaths and human deaths - it makes me the caring person I am.

Well done you to take the decision which was best for your ferret, even though it was painful for you.

Don't stop keeping pets.  You'll never get a "replacement" but you can get another individual that you will love for their own sake.
ManicMum

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 19:53 »
so sorry, having lost several pets I understand the great hole that you have now. Take time to grieve and talk as much about Nonny on here as you want, even post pictures if you wish. Quite a few on here have ferrets and will happily chat away with you. Myself I have never befriended one of my own but my uncle and cousin breed ferrets and polecats and they truly are magnificent creatures. xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

maxyboo

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 20:42 »
You did the right thing for Nonny. You made your decision based on what was best for her because you loved her so try not to feel bad about that. Easier said than done I know.
 I know how it feels to lose an animal. I don't have or want kids so my pets are the most important things in my life. (Hubby is a close second). I always cry when I lose an animal and it is especially difficult when you have raised them from a young age and watched them develop little characters and personalities.
We are all more than willing to listen. You probably don't believe me but it does get easier and one day you will be able to think of her with a smile and not this terrible sadnees you feel now.

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 21:24 »
I can only echo what others have already posted.  Any animal's passing, regardless of the fact they may be the more "accepted" pets or one of the more unusual ones, hurts when you've cared for them, especially when you've had them from so young and for such a long time.

Rest assured you did the right thing for Nonny - as hard as it is on you - and you will find it easier as time passes.  It doesn't quite go away - you just learn to deal with your loss differently so it doesn't hurt as much and you remember the good times, rather than your current hurt.

Big hugs from me. x
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

rainie

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 22:00 »
I've never had a ferret but Nonny wasnt just a ferret, she was your ferret and now you have a loss. Are these people telling you to stop talking about her because they are missing her in their own way and are dealing with it in a different way to you? Its good to talk about these losses, its grieving, its natural. If you have no one to share it with, share it on here where you will have the support you need, to get you through. Another thing is to just find a few moments every now and then and just 'sit' and be with your own thoughts. Theres no wrong way to deal with this, your way will be the right way, and it will get easier and you will become a stronger person too. ((hugs)).
Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.

evie2

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 13:28 »
So, so sorry Nonny's gone :(

Ferrets are fantastic, friendly, loving wee animals, full of character, big hugs from us xxx
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

xx
Any ferret keepers out there?

Started by scabs on Pets without Feathers

41 Replies
Last post August 08, 2010, 16:52
by evie2
xx
WANTED FERRET

Started by samuria on Pets without Feathers

1 Replies
Last post August 09, 2014, 15:51
by samuria
xx
Calling all ferret fanciers! Urgent!

Started by Starling on Pets without Feathers

29 Replies
Last post August 08, 2010, 12:38
by joyfull

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 38 queries.