Lime, compost, manure

• 5 Replies

oakridge

Lime, compost, manure
« on: April 06, 2016, 09:36 »
I am confused again.

When it is said that lime and manure should not be added to the soil together does it mean does it mean MANURE, i.e. ther result of mucking out cows, hosses, chickens, etc or does it include garden compost also?  I have established elsewhere here that my land is acid and my compost tends to be acid and so - no worms.  I had the idea of adding lime as I shift the compost heap to increase the pH.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Lime, compost, manure
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 10:22 »
It means manure and lime, not compost.

However I wouldn't add lime at this time of year, it is added in the Autumn and left over Winter. The only exception is on the brassica bed, they don't mind fresh lime at all, gardeners often dust the planting hole to discourage club root.

oakridge

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 11:36 »
Thank you mumofstig.  I have never actually had clubroot, but then I had never actually had blight until last year.

al78

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 00:15 »
I thought the idea was to manure in the autumn and lime in the spring  :unsure:.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 08:47 »
I thought the idea was to manure in the autumn and lime in the spring  :unsure:.

from John's guide here http://www.allotment-garden.org/compost-fertiliser/garden-lime.php

When to Lime
It’s usually best to lime your soil in the autumn and allow it to work its way into the soil over the winter. You do not want to lime when you have crops in the ground as the lime may well damage the crops.
Since brassicas like both high amounts of nitrogen & humus as well as a high pH, manure in the autumn for them and lime in the early spring,

Trikidiki

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 19:29 »
Winter or spring before planting, both are ok.

As mum said you can dust the hole before planting brassicas. When I used to grow brassicas I used to put a lump of chalk into each planting hole with the young plant. I got a load of lumps of chalk and flint in with a trailer load of manure so used the lumps of chalk rather than buying lime.

question
Manure & Lime? Where?

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 16, 2011, 16:37
by Goldfinger
xx
Lime / manure

Started by gypsy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 28, 2014, 19:32
by JayG
xx
manure and lime

Started by leftydrum on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 16, 2012, 18:49
by gavinjconway
xx
Manure and lime

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 08, 2007, 19:12
by WG.

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 38 queries.