Chicks fighting!!!

• 4 Replies

Brad26

Chicks fighting!!!
« on: July 09, 2010, 10:50 »
Hi, i'm pretty new to keeping chickens and recently hatched 4 chicks under a broody. They're now 5 weeks old. About 10 days ago one of the chicks got into the adult chickens run in which there are a further 5 chickens, i found her/him with the back of its head wide open having been pecked by the adults. Took it to the vet and got it stapled up and have then kept her separate from the others until today when she had the staples removed. Put her back in with the rest today but now it and one other chick keep going for each other whilst the other two haven't been any problem at all. I take it this means that the injured chick and this one other particular chick are both males but should they be fighting with each other so early on?

Sorry this went on so long. lol 

Casey76

Re: Chicks fighting!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 12:18 »
Chicks of both sexes will square up to each other and "chest it off" or leap at each other... doesn't mean to say they are both boys.

I'd probably say that the chick who has been to the vet is probably smelling a little different now, and is being treated like an outsider by another dominant chick... things should settle down eventually.

as long as it's just the chicks scrapping, it is unlikely they will do each other much damage if they of a size.

TeaPots

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 12:24 »
I agree with Casey. If the injured chick that got out was the dominant, bold one, it would have lost its top chick status going to vet and coming back weaker and smelling strange. The next top chick will have taken up the post and now they are sorting it out between them. With chicks, it is usually just the learning and practice fighting, so long as a lucky peck doesnt actually draw blood, they'll sort themselves out without problems. Remove a bleeding chick QUICKLY though, as they turn cannibal/velocoraptor at the sight of blood at a very early age. :ohmy:

Brad26

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 22:53 »
Thanks very much for the advice, they do actually seemed to have settled down a bit now.

TeaPots

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 00:26 »
Thats good news  :D

xx
chicks fighting, A LOT.

Started by JaK on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2011, 14:57
by JaK
xx
fighting chicks

Started by samuria on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 27, 2013, 18:17
by ANHBUC
xx
Chicks fighting

Started by Pep on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 14, 2008, 08:11
by Pep
xx
day old chicks fighting!

Started by denise and joe on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 07:38
by denise and joe

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 39 queries.