Thyme from seed

• 2 Replies

matt80

Thyme from seed
« on: February 28, 2008, 09:12 »
Is it possible to grow thyme from seed? I've read somewhere to sow in cells but not to put a propagator lid on as they like to be kept quite dry - does this sound right? How often should I water the seeds?

Thanks for any help

dawninspain

Thyme from seed
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 09:23 »
I've sucessfully grown thyme from seed.  I use a plant mister to keep the top of the compost damp while waiting for germination and while the seedlings are very tiny.  Moist but not wet is what you are aiming for.  Adding a lid will just make the temperature a bit higher which may or may not speed up germination.

Good luck

compostqueen

Thyme from seed
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 09:23 »
you can grow thyme from seed very successful.  Get yourself a packet of seed and all the instructions for sowing and growing on, care of them will be all there in detail so you can't go wrong.

"Seed should be sown in March time in normal potting compost. Because the seeds are so fine, only cover them very lightly with the compost. Place them in a warm place, 16C (60F), and the seedlings will emerge in week or so. When the plants are about 10cm (4in high) and the danger of all frost has passed, they can be moved outside to their final position (harden them off first). They have a spread of about 30cm (12in) and should be spaced at this distance apart. Harvest only very, very lightly (if at all) in the first year"

Some thymes are bigger than this though but you can trim them if they get sprawly etc

xx
Sorry looking Thyme

Started by EzLou on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 16:49
by mashauk
xx
Thyme

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 19, 2013, 22:49
by agapanthus
clip
Creeping Thyme

Started by Blackpool rocket on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 14, 2019, 11:49
by Goosegirl
xx
Thyme & Basil

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 16, 2011, 08:20
by Benandbill

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 38 queries.