Marking plant tags... Problem solved (at least for me!)

• 1 Replies

Fishplate42

• Expert novice.
Marking plant tags... Problem solved (at least for me!)
« on: February 03, 2021, 01:24 »
For years, I have been struggling to find a solution to plant labelling that suits me. I want two types of label; one for trays and pots and one for the plot.

I have tried all sorts of pens, pencils and labels over the years and none have really worked. I have always wanted to end up with a nice neat 10cm (4 inches to me) label in white that I can reuse. Finally, got it worked out. I use cheap, plastic labels and a 2B pencil. The pencil needs to be a traditional graphite lead pencil. The break-resistant 'school' pencils don't like writing on the plastic. The problem has always been the new shiny (cheap) labels are hard to write on and difficult to clean when you have got the pencil to mark them. To solve this I now use 0000 grade wire wool to 'key' the plastic before writing on it and I use the same wire wool to clean of the pencil for reuse. It has only taken me half a lifetime to work this out.

For the plot I am going to use wooden labels, cut from scrap, paint the tops white (gloss) and make them with a Permanent marker. These do not need to be changed as they will normally just state what is sown/planted in the row/bed. If they do need changing, lighter fluid will remove most if not all the marker ink. If necessary, they can always get a new lick of paint.

If you don't want to use labels at all, You can always write on the rim of the pot with a 2B pencil, using the wire wool to key the plastic first - and of course, remove it after use.

Ralph
I need more space...

jezza

Re: Marking plant tags... Problem solved (at least for me!)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 11:21 »
Hello I had some plant labels given a few months ago by a friend they're pot ones it was there practice piece for pottery class   jezza

clip
Norlett Beaver Powerspade Gearbox Oil - Solved!

Started by ccthansard on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post September 27, 2019, 13:40
by ccthansard
clip
Problem

Started by mdjlucan on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post April 06, 2024, 06:54
by jezza
xx
Howard 352 problem

Started by nabbers on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post December 04, 2011, 16:10
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Problem with my rotavator

Started by apywell on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post February 13, 2009, 18:45
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 40 queries.