Poorly chook...please, advice needed!

• 6 Replies

chookchick74

Poorly chook...please, advice needed!
« on: March 06, 2010, 12:58 »
Hi all, am new to this forum as not need advice so desperatly before...ok so I have a poorly chook, she is a lavender maran (about 14 weeks I reckon) that I bought at our local market a couple of weeks ago, I wormed them a week after I had them (a pair) and the other one seems very healthy, thay are in with 6 other chickens, all very healthy completely free range! I have her in a basket in ,my utility as she was looking so very cold, and sneezing. She has been fed mash and pellets with corn, she has water with veggi drops and water with coxid (just as a precaution). Two days on and she is still very down, she is wobbly and weak and not sure she is eating much now either. Have tried spice in her food too. Has anyone any suggestion please? :(

judrop

• the chooks !
Re: Poorly chook...please, advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 13:10 »
Hi Chookchick, so sorry to hear of your sick baby, I am not an expert but there are some very cleaver people on here who will have some kind and helpful words for you, all the best with it and do let us know what happens,
Love and hugs Ju XX

dizzylizzie

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 13:41 »
Hi all, am new to this forum as not need advice so desperatly before...ok so I have a poorly chook, she is a lavender maran (about 14 weeks I reckon) that I bought at our local market a couple of weeks ago, I wormed them a week after I had them (a pair) and the other one seems very healthy, thay are in with 6 other chickens, all very healthy completely free range! I have her in a basket in ,my utility as she was looking so very cold, and sneezing. She has been fed mash and pellets with corn, she has water with veggi drops and water with coxid (just as a precaution). Two days on and she is still very down, she is wobbly and weak and not sure she is eating much now either. Have tried spice in her food too. Has anyone any suggestion please? :(

Hi, imsorry you have a poorlie girl. If she is sneezing and poorlie with it she will probably need to see a vet for some antibiotics. Why are you giving her coxoid if she is sneezing? is she showing other symptoms that you havent mentioned?
Check if she has a temp, you need to feel under her wing, but compare it with another healthy chicken as they are warmer than you think.
If she has a temp, you can disolve a baby asprin in her drinking water, you need to keep her in a warm quiet area and keep an eye on her drinking and eating. Water is the most important, but try tempting her with food she likes. Mine love 'porridge'. I make it with hot water from the kettle poured onto their pellets or mash, a few rasins/sultanas or cranberry's (what ever i have in) with a tiny bit of manuka honey and natural yoghurt....works everytime  in getting them to eat:D. I would be getting her to a vet though if she was mine. Keep us informed :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 16:25 by dizzylizzie »

chookchick74

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 14:34 »
Thanks dizzielizzie, I am only giving a bit of coxid as a precaution as advised to by another site. But I m sure it's nothing like that.  I will try some porridge and check her temp. will also consult vet if no change.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 16:27 »
Hi, i would be wary about using 'a bit of coxoid' as its a medicine. You dont want her building up resistance to it by giving the wrong or incomplete dosage :) Hope she is a little better.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 17:09 by dizzylizzie »

chookchick74

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 16:43 »
Ok, will take that away. She is enjoying the porridge anyway.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 17:10 »
Good, at least she is eating :)

xx
Help needed - Poorly chook....

Started by Boxfanman on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 11:11
by Aunt Sally
xx
Injured chook, advice needed

Started by Pertelotte on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 18:02
by Hayley'sHens
xx
Poorly ex-bat, advice needed!

Started by princesslisabean on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 11, 2010, 22:16
by bantam novice
xx
advice needed for poorly pullet

Started by Sue33 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 14:04
by Sue33

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 34 queries.