chickens 'n stuff...

• 4 Replies

growtogether

chickens 'n stuff...
« on: February 05, 2011, 14:52 »
well I was pointed in this direction by joyfull and she suggested I should share some info on my chickens....so here goes...

I have a nice little group of 23 Bantams with a couple of Rhode Island red cross Bantam Cock's.... and a couple of ducks.... no reason for the ducks really... Just wanted them lol

they generally get left to their own thing but usually invade the house through the kitchen window... I don't tend to name them unless they show a bit of character... such as Sid (named after sid vicious) and Korma (he keeps escaping the run just asking to be eaten by the fox who has already racked up an impressive 3 kills since last august)

incidentally if anyone knows of any tips or tricks to stop them roosting in the trees and nesting in bushes...I would be very grateful

:)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: chickens 'n stuff...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 14:59 »
cant help with stopping them from tree roosting 14 of mine (11 chickens and 3 guinea fowl) roost out in all weathers (even to the point of being covered in snow and frost in the mornings). No idea why as I have 8 coops so plenty of space for them, and last year even had a batch of young hatch in the fields near us.
So why not post some photos - we love to see everybodies birds  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

growtogether

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 15:15 »
I'll try and get some up when I get home tonight....

I also used to have a pidgeon who thought he was a chicken.
He turned up at my work with a broken wing and as I feel guilty when I step on a snail the thought of snapping his neck wasn't an option...so he lived out his days as a chicken. lol

my other half on the other hand has no problems taking care of surplus males and boiling them up to makea nice chicken soup.... which I have no problem with I just don't feel the need to do it myself lol

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 15:18 »
I don't like culling my surplus boys but have to, every now and then. However my oh can't do the deed nor can he eat the birds so me and the dogs have it all  :)

growtogether

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 15:20 »
haha no I have no problem with the eating part....

with times being as they are who can say no to some free food. every now and again people we know give us some pheasant/fish/venison etc all of which I have no problems taking lol

xx
Price of stuff.

Started by Lawrence on Chicken Chat

10 Replies
Last post June 08, 2012, 23:48
by GrannieAnnie
xx
New chickens!!!!!

Started by YoungChickenLover on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post February 17, 2012, 17:49
by ANHBUC
xx
Ain't nobody here but us chickens

Started by Helenaj on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post July 29, 2015, 07:46
by joyfull
xx
can i keep chickens

Started by chicken phil on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post May 29, 2011, 15:24
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 39 queries.