Asparagus sprouting

• 2 Replies

keeper

• Trevorl
Asparagus sprouting
« on: November 09, 2014, 19:11 »
Hi All ,

About a 2 or 3 weeks ago I topped my Asparagus and mulched with compost. I asked the question on here about leaving the stalks about 2 or 3 ins. proud and got reassured , thanks , that I need not worry.

I came back today, after being away for a few days, to find that about 4 of these had sent up  brand new spears.
I suppose it is this mild weather , I would imagine they were already on their way but just under the soil when I topped the ferns, and have grown through the compost.

My question is, do I ignore them or let them fern , they were only planted this March , so should I believe, not be harvested till 2016. Has anyone else had this happen , this year or before ?

Thanks Trevor

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Asparagus sprouting
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 09:42 »
I've had a few later-than-expected additional spears on mine in the past, although not as late as this!

Colder now, and barring something really extraordinary happening with the weather they won't develop into ferns and put anything back into the crowns and roots, so cut them off - if they're tender enough to eat; eat them!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

keeper

• Trevorl
Re: Asparagus sprouting
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 18:56 »
I've had a few later-than-expected additional spears on mine in the past, although not as late as this!

Colder now, and barring something really extraordinary happening with the weather they won't develop into ferns and put anything back into the crowns and roots, so cut them off - if they're tender enough to eat; eat them!  :)

Thanks JayG,  I must admit it was a shock , especially up here in Yorks.

I hoped someone may say to eat them, Thanks Trevor.

xx
Asparagus sprouting again

Started by scotty on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 16, 2009, 12:28
by corynsboy
xx
Asparagus are still sprouting

Started by barney rubble on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 05, 2009, 17:18
by Tattyanne456
xx
Purple Sprouting Broccoli - sprouting already - too soon?

Started by ptarmigan on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 18, 2013, 10:45
by devonbarmygardener
xx
My purple sprouting broccoli isn't sprouting

Started by Vagabond on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2020, 10:11
by Grubbypaws

Page created in 0.359 seconds with 35 queries.