What I did in the Greenhouse or Polytunnel today

• 400 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: What I did in the Greenhouse or Polytunnel today
« Reply #240 on: April 20, 2015, 11:13 »
Potted on only the toms, peppers and chillis that I actually need  ::) left the others as plugs for either my next door neighbour or the allotment 'help yourself' table. *gives self pat on back*

Cape gooseberries done as well............

Parsley still to do - when I've drunk my coffee  :D

This year I started the lobelia, petunias and nicotiana sprinkled thinly over mini plug modules in the trays - so I may actually get more - as I won't squash sooo many  :blush:

Lardman

« Reply #241 on: April 20, 2015, 11:25 »
Cape gooseberries done as well............

Which ones are you doing MoS ? The big (supermarket sized) ones or the smaller pineapple tasting ones? I've struggled to get a crop off the bigger ones before the frosts set in but started them really early this year as they were on their last warning.  ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #242 on: April 20, 2015, 11:31 »
er dunno  :wacko: - they were in a seed swap envelope just labelled cape gooseberries  :lol:

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #243 on: April 20, 2015, 14:55 »
If that was from the seed circle here MOS then they are the big ones...
Personally had no luck with the smaller type but the one I took seeds from for the circle grew like a triffid and swamped out most everything else in the GH. I managed to overwinter it and have just put the plant out in a sunny spot in the garden.

Pip pip,
Balders

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #244 on: April 20, 2015, 16:33 »
I fankoo, Baldy  :D

Lardman

« Reply #245 on: April 21, 2015, 18:13 »
I managed to overwinter it ..

Where'd you do that ? Both the one I had in the top GH border and the one in the pot in the bottom GH both turned their toes up when we had the quick cold snap.

Things are nearly ready to be potted on, the problem with small pots and this time of year is keeping them wet  >:( So everything got a good soaking and the very dry stuff in now standing in cat litter trays full of water.

Sowed yellow climbing French beans and a cell tray of beetroot, divided the old pot of spearmint up into a few 6" pots and a couple of 3" ones.

Put 4 dwarf French beans out in the top GH border hopefully they'll be more productive than last years. I have a feeling I should swap out the soil up there, but I really wanted to raise the entire thing up on a dwarf wall before I did that.

Need to sow more Rio Grande toms as they're a no show but other than that everything is just ticking along.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #246 on: April 21, 2015, 20:18 »
Where'd you do that ?
Honestly this thing was a beast... Just in an unheated GH in a Morrisons flower bucket. Plenty of chicken pellets and water but that was it. Maybe a degree or two warmer down here over the cold months...
I suspect that 'baldy berry' may become renown in the UK if the seed circle scions do similar.  :D
Out in the garden now and its about 3 foot tall and looking healthy.

Today, potted on numerous toms ready for the local hospice sale. Not only feeling good about doing a good deed, but freeing up space too.  ;)

Pip pip,
Balders

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #247 on: April 21, 2015, 20:49 »
Where'd you do that ?
Honestly this thing was a beast... Just in an unheated GH in a Morrisons flower bucket. Plenty of chicken pellets and water but that was it. Maybe a degree or two warmer down here over the cold months...
I suspect that 'baldy berry' may become renown in the UK if the seed circle scions do similar.  :D
Out in the garden now and its about 3 foot tall and looking healthy.
Edited to add - Sensing disbelief - and having to bring the guinea pig in - I took a piccy:

Today, potted on numerous toms ready for the local hospice sale. Not only feeling good about doing a good deed, but freeing up space too.  ;)

Pip pip,
Balders

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #248 on: April 21, 2015, 21:04 »
Pricked out the Baldy Berries (that really does sound a bit odd... :nowink:), watered everything and installed a tray of potted squashes. The staging is starting to fill up.

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #249 on: April 21, 2015, 21:13 »
Staging full here.  Thinking about suspended scaffold planks to take strawberrys off the staging where the slugs won't be able to get at em....

thereby freeing up lots of staging for more stuff...

It'll be a good season!!!

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #250 on: April 21, 2015, 22:35 »
I managed to overwinter it ..

Where'd you do that ? Both the one I had in the top GH border and the one in the pot in the bottom GH both turned their toes up when we had the quick cold snap.

I can beat that. :D
I left my cape gooseberries from summer 2013 out over winter 2013-14 and they fruited outside the following summer when I forgot to dispose of them :wub: :D

Lardman

« Reply #251 on: April 22, 2015, 08:08 »
I left my cape gooseberries from summer 2013 out over winter 2013-14 and they fruited outside the following summer when I forgot to dispose of them :wub: :D

Ok so what you're all saying is I just add them to the long list of indestructible plants I can kill by simply looking at them>  ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #252 on: April 22, 2015, 09:00 »
Er, no..................... I think local weather might, just, have something to do with it  ;)

:lol: :lol:

Bacchus

« Reply #253 on: April 22, 2015, 13:14 »
Just read the post a few above this about creating a high up platform.  I've attached a couple of pics of one I made for the polytunnel.  It's useful and you can slide it across to keep from bumping your head.
high1.jpg
high2.jpg

Lardman

« Reply #254 on: April 25, 2015, 09:28 »
Potted up another "give away" tray of tomatoes and physallis plants. I'm using up some cheap cell trays putting 1 plant of each variety in and then printing out a key so people know what's what.  :) Saves giving away my matching pots and writing out lots of labels.  ;)

Opening up the bottom GH this morning I noticed a few flower buds on the Black Russian and sub arctic plenty tomatoes.   :) I really should pot those on into their 10" pots. First flower buds are also appearing on the Jal I didn't pinch out and the pepnio plants seem to be going really well this year  :ohmy: Fingers crossed for more than 1 unripe fruit.

I've still done nothing with the top greenhouse though.

It's fast approaching 'C' day again this year, but there's a lot less heading off to the compost heap this time.

xx
Re: in the Polytunnel and Greenhouse

Started by Whatalottie on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post February 10, 2013, 12:01
by Green man
xx
Polytunnel vs greenhouse.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post November 23, 2012, 00:54
by John
xx
Greenhouse V Polytunnel?

Started by fallen angel on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

13 Replies
Last post February 21, 2016, 19:02
by BabbyAnn
xx
Greenhouse or Polytunnel?

Started by Clarky86 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post August 31, 2017, 21:13
by grinling

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 57 queries.