The 'Growster' Wheel Hoe...

• 22 Replies

Growster...

The 'Growster' Wheel Hoe...
« on: April 06, 2011, 22:59 »
Some years ago, when we first had our allotment, we dug and hoed by hand, until the inevitable second-hand cultivator arrived. It was a nice little beast, quite powerful, and did a lot of hard work, until one day, for no reason, it just stopped in mid-cult and refused to start. It never did start again, despite all sorts of investigation, and we moved on from our plot to spend more time working on our new house.

I sold the old chap somewhat reluctantly, but time moves on when there are more urgent matters to attend to, like tending to a growing family, and trying to make a living.

The same family have grown up and moved on, and our thoughts returned to the days when we could grow much more on our old plot, and eventually we bit the bullet, and went to see the Parish Clerk, who is a friend, and also runs the plots in the village.

We walked the paths between rather dilapidated plots, and he checked each one off on a list, moaning about this one, laughing at that one and so on, until we stopped by a dense shrubbery of weeds and couch grass, which was well forested with some of the biggest docks I’d ever seen!

He said shortly, ‘Could you clean this one up’?

It took me all of half a second to say ‘yes’, because it was our very first allotment, and completely neglected and covered in rubbish and debris. Well I had to say ‘yes’ didn’t I!

And so a few days later, we started to clear the weeds, and dig out every single tangle of couch grass by hand, because it really had been left in a state of near non-redemption. The job’s been done now after way over fifty hours of digging and cleaning, and forty barrows of couch and rubbish, and the first veg are in.

It was inevitable that I’d start to look at the occasional cultivator on Ebay, or peer enviously at some of the chaps puttering their Hondas around their plots, but those machines wouldn’t have extracted the couch grass properly anyway, and after all, I wanted the exercise! However, the Terrex spade did all the hard work, and I made do with that, and a few other implements.

Back in 1988, I’d kept an old Marshalls Seed Catalogue, tucked into the notebook I used to jot down planting times etc. It opened on a page which, by coincidence, showed an advert for Mrs Growster’s new secateurs, and, joy of joys, there was another picture of a 'Jaylo Wheel Hoe'!

Now, years ago, I’d long spent ages trying to design and make a hand cultivator with a wheel or two, actually trying to think through the operation before I knew you could actually buy one in the shops! Pensions don’t run to buying the American designs, and a powered rotavator is also out of the question, so it was a short hop to the shed to start to build my own wheel hoe.

Somehow, I’d managed to keep the old handles from our old Webb Wasp mower. They were in the roof actually – don’t ask why, and of course, that was a start! The internet provided countless images of shiny blades, bolts and wheels from flashy sports cars, which made up the big American models, but there was also a bewildering collection of locally forged wheel hoes, and the designs could easily be altered and made to fit what I already had, which was an old wheel-barrow wheel, (found in the woods), and a couple of pieces of old oak, from the old church notice board, (there was a new one built, and they were going to burn the old 5” x 5” posts!)

I’d always collected other bits and pieces, and as we didn’t cycle very much now, I used the old car bike bars as a frame for the wheel, and also the hoe blade, which started out as a piece of 1/8” flat steel, and was gradually altered to include a thinner, sharper blade, 5” wide.

The whole lot actually screws or bolts together, and the only standard item is the handlebar extensions from my bicycle, because the old lawnmower handles are at the wrong angle to push the hoe properly.

It is an absolute joy to use. All those American Old-Timers knew a thing or two when they made these for their own small-holdings, and after a few running adjustments, I can now get the thing working through the whole 3.5 rod plot in about twenty minutes, and it is nearly effortless! You can push/pull if you want, direct it through gaps in the rows easily, and it stops immediately of course…!

And it costs absolutely nothing to run!

What is amazing though, is the fact that there are very few places where you can get one of these marvellous tools in the UK, I’ve tried many shops, auction houses etc., but not come up with anything like the old 'Jaylo', whose picture fell out of a grubby old notebook with 1988 written on the cover…
Pinetum works and wheel hoe etc 023 (528 x 396) (396 x 297).jpg
Pinetum works and wheel hoe etc 022 (528 x 396) (396 x 297).jpg
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 23:07 by Growster... »

Paul Plots

Re: The 'Growster' Wheel Hoe...
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 23:31 »
Thanks Growster - I enjoyed reading your post.

The tool looks brilliant and more so as it was created by you for your own use. Gone are the days when people had time to make do and mend, recycle, reinvent and create new from old.

I bet it is a joy to use and I can fully appreciate why you prefer this to one of those noisy petrol bladed digging machines.

I have my father's old Howard 200 rotovator that is more like a 2 wheel tractor than a modern rotovator. It's been trundling up and down our plots for the last 43 years but once it has packed up I think I'll be using something quieter and lighter to handle...something rather like your wheeled hoe.  ;)

Brilliant.  :)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 04:39 »
Morning Learner! That's very nice of you to comment - thankyou!

I'll always yearn for a cultivator, which does the job much more efficiently and is easier on the old back and the joints, but for the moment, needs must, and I really have been amazed at how easy it is to charge round the plot, and do the job in no time!

I love old machines like your Howard. It was the first ever rotovator I drove, when I was a sprog in the fifties, and I've never forgotten the experience of using this 'Sherman tank', which had been lurking under a tarpaulin in a chum's garden during the winter months. It suddenly came to life, and handled like an old Labrador - as friendly and easy as you could wish for!

Dare I say that I've been working on a way to fix a rechargeable bicycle motor to the wheel hoe, (Sinclair Zeta) and am still wondering...

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 12:49 »
absolutely brilliant growster....so nice to someone recycling and make do and mend...brilliant.
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 13:02 »
A nice piece of tinkering, it`s what rainy days and sheds were made for! :)

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 14:32 »
ive been thinking about investing in a wheel hoe for a while and now haveing read this i think its time to put some of the junk in the shed to good use :) so thanks in advance if this works youve just saved me arround £100

anthonypaul

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 19:06 »
I've got a Rolo cultivator, bought 40+ years ago from the manufacturer at Great Malvern. It  comprises a light cast aluminum wheel about 9in wide x 9in diameter, contained in a metal frame with a slotted tool bar at the back plus the handles, of course. It came with hoes, duck foot cultivators, plough, and ridger.

I use it now for making the furrows for potatoes and earthing them up. Also for making a fine seed bed by using the hoes and walking backwards, pushing the tool backwards and forwards as I go to pulverise the soil.

Its virtually indestructable and every few years I buff it up and add a new coat of Dog Kennel Green

Its a mystery why somebody is not making them still.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 20:40 »
Plottered, that's kind of you to say so! Thank you!

It really was (is) a labour of love, and any new ideas, like a potato earther, may well hit the drawing board before long...

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 20:42 »
Evening 8! Thank you!

It was done then - much of it over Christmas, when there's so little to do, except collect bits of oak, metal and a few greenhouse nuts and bolts...

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 20:44 »
Mike, be my guest! They're usually there, especially if you have a shed like ours, with all sorts of stuff hiding under benches!

The design you use can very easily be copied from images on the dreaded 'Gargle'!

If you want any 'tips' for what they're worth, just ask!

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 20:47 »
Now that sounds marvellous Anthonypaul!

The name doesn't ring any bells, but I'm intrigued to see the wheel shape and size. Is it a drum of some sort?

I tried to' Gargle' an image, but got nowhere, so if you have a pic, I'd love to see it!

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 22:37 »
Now that sounds marvellous Anthonypaul!

The name doesn't ring any bells, but I'm intrigued to see the wheel shape and size. Is it a drum of some sort?

I tried to' Gargle' an image, but got nowhere, so if you have a pic, I'd love to see it!

Me too.  ;)

anthonypaul

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 19:38 »
Rolo Pix. The drum is in fact 6in wide x 8in diameter and is hollow with big holes in the side to let soil crumbs fall out
Rolo 1 JPG.jpg

Paul Plots

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 21:58 »
Wow... It looks like a mini roller.

I can almost imagine a steam engine driving it.  ;)

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 05:03 »
Now that's interesting Anthony paul!

So do you just push it over the soil, and it crushes the clods?

Is there some sort of bar somewhere, which the drum connects with? I imagine that it rolls forward, picking up, or disturbing the soil in front, and somehow breaks up the lumps, but I can't see how! That to me is the way to make these things effective, and I'm trying to think of a way to make 'The Growster' do this!

Yesterday, I tried working 'The Growster' backwards, as was suggested somewhere. It does a good job, and leaves the tilth untrodden of course, but I've also noticed that all this trotting over the plot is compacting some areas. This won't be bad for the brassicas of course!

One of the theories of digging, is that you have double digging, to give the subsoil a good seeing to, then the top 10"-12" gets turned into large lumps, and the hoe finishes off the top into smaller lumps then crumbs as you mention. I'm interested to learn how the constant pressure of walking on the surface actually affects the bottom of the topsoil, because I want to retain the air somewhere down there, and allow rainwater to percolate down so that root veg etc., have somewhere to go.

xx
Growster's graunched greenhouse...

Started by Growster... on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post May 15, 2013, 16:07
by allotmentann
xx
Growster's 'Woofer' in action...

Started by Growster... on Equipment Shed

27 Replies
Last post November 22, 2011, 08:49
by sunshineband
xx
Wheel Hoe

Started by cornerhouse on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post April 10, 2011, 12:13
by Growster...
question
wheel

Started by JAP clifford User Bill on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2013, 08:45
by JAP clifford User Bill

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 38 queries.