Old age?

• 4 Replies

asd1

• Experienced Member
Old age?
« on: February 27, 2011, 22:20 »
One of my hens has stopped laying now, not sure how old she is but i know she was an ex free range farm hen then was a pet for around 6 months before coming to live with me about a year ago. Over the winter I found that fleshy lash thing in the nest box so I'm guessing it's from her! Just wanted to know what to expect from now ?

PaulineM

Re: Old age?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 12:08 »
Hi
It sounds to me as if she has finished her laying, if it was her who passed the lash then she is definitely finished.
You can expect a very satisfied feeling and a happy chicken who will enjoy her retirement in peace.  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

bexy

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 18:57 »
hope i don't sound dumb but what's lash? ???

Fisherman

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 19:26 »
Hi Bexy
A lash is a lump of tissue from the hen's reproductive tract. This generally means that the bird has come to the end of its egg laying life. They can go off colour including moulting at this time and look a little stressed. They will still have an enjoyable life especially without the hassle of laying eggs for the rest of their lives.

r2d2

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 19:46 »
do ducks lay a lash when finished as well?

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 28 queries.