success with dehydrator thanks for help

• 19 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Re: success with dehydrator thanks for help
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2012, 13:51 »
Do you have to do anything to the peppers other than cutting into chunks? They don't need blanching or treating or anything? I didn't think of trying those.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2012, 15:21 »
No special prep required  :)  just de-seed and cut into chunks or slices, whichever you prefer.  I was dubious they would be worth it given supermarket peppers are so tasteless usually, but the drying really works to improve them.

My other discovery is that even the cheap big bags of apples and pears dry into really tasty dried fruit slices.  I don't eat either usually as they are tasteless again, but the dried ones are lovely.  Much better taste and texture than anything you can buy  :)  You dip them in either lemon juice and water, or I sometimes use cheap orange juice and dry them as they are or you can sprinkle spices on them.  Cinnamon on apple is particularly nice  :D

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 23:15 »
I did apples over the stove last year just finished eating them. most were given to me fortunately very nice as New shoot said. just planted 7 trees hope to be self sefficient in 5 years?  with fresh and dried. Also picked up one of those peeler things for £2 in barnardos recently.
might try the cinamon next year, what about pear and ginger?
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2012, 21:36 »
I'm just experimenting with greens and they are quite useful to have around.  I know Rachell posted she had done kale not so long ago and found several uses for it.  It is more of an 'add to stuff' ingredient than eat alone as a side dish I think.  Not bad munched straight out of the jar either  ;)  :)

I just went back and looked at the Mary Bell book and noticed something I hadn't before. She says that leaf veg like kale and spinach can be dehydrated and rehydrated and used just like fresh with no discernible difference in the veg, so they should be fine as side veg.

There's a lot of useful info in the Mary Bell book but I wish she'd used less space for recipes and more space for info on individual veg. I doubt I'd ever use those recipes because the measurements are Americanised, all in cups, and sometimes ingredients too (general purpose flour?), and I don't go backpacking :) In the section where she runs through every type of veg with instructions for prep and drying, it would have been really nice if she'd given at least some info for each on rehydrating and usage.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2012, 21:43 »
yes i agree back packing receipes take up a lot of room I think its best to dehydrate the receipes that you normally do, so you know you like them, for back packing, that what i'm going to try for my next yha adventure. things like veggie bolonegse and  veggie scrambled egg and veggie mash.  

Just wondering about ratatouille tooee :D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 21:57 by rachelk »

xx
more dehydrator success.

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post January 09, 2013, 20:36
by Madame Cholet
xx
first success in dehydrator

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post June 12, 2012, 22:15
by MJS
xx
Dehydrator

Started by big green bloke on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post July 08, 2015, 18:44
by Madame Cholet
xx
dehydrator

Started by MoreWhisky on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post November 21, 2010, 20:10
by birmancats

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 29 queries.