I'm Gutted - spuds nearly a failure!!

• 9 Replies

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
I'm Gutted - spuds nearly a failure!!
« on: September 10, 2011, 18:38 »
I'm gutted... my wheelie bin spuds (Sante i think) that I've grown this year are a real dissapointment.. They were full grown looking like a great crop would be reaped. I emptied them out today and very dissapointed.. Only 5kg... there were a lot of small and very small spuds still on the roots that have not filled out.. I had a lot of good spuds near the top and not too many lower down. Still pleased with is as it is something I heard about doing...

But I think know the reason.. as it was eventually a full bin of soil and commpost I did try to get water down to the bottom but obviously not enough because the soil was very dry when I emptied it. Obviously too dry to grow the littles spuds big!!

I will make up a hose pipe with holes and plugged end and use it to get down to the bottom next year.

Has anyone experienced this problem before?.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
Re: I'm Gutted - spuds nearly a failure!!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 18:41 »
Feeding might have helped. I got our best spuds after heavy manuring the previous autumn. I have never done very well in tubs.

gavinjconway

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 18:50 »
I did give them a fair amount of compost and manure etc but I really think it was just too dry...

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 18:55 »
I did give them a fair amount of compost and manure etc but I really think it was just too dry...
I'm afraid you've hit on the problem, and it's a sad way to learn Gavin.

Like here, all the mistakes turn into experience for next year, so that's one lesson you've got under your belt.

You should see the failures we've had this year, and I'm so old I sometimes surprise myself...;0)

Keep on going - you'll do better next year!

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 18:59 »
I had the same problem growing spuds in a tall raised box.

Better than a hosepipe, use 2-3 lengths of drilled rigid pipe about 2-3" wide standing upright straight to the tub bottom. Space them around the tub. That'll get a lot of water down there and fast.

gavinjconway

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 19:02 »
Yes I did think about it and stabbed the hose down a few times but not enough!!! I'm still happy with the quality of them..

Thanks Trillium for the advice.. I was sort of thinking on those lines as well..

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 19:17 »
I tried the same thing with hosepipe, but it tends to get squashed when you fill in with soil, or the spuds pushing the soil around as they size up. very little water gets down a squished hosepipe no matter how many holes you make. That's why I recommend the wide, rigid pipe which is what I'm doing with mine next year. My raised box got so dry that ants moved in  >:(

Chrysalis

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 20:59 »
Thanks for that idea, Trillium!   :)Will be off to the diy store soon and get some rigid pipe!  ;) We use deep raised beds for everything and watering can be a real problem. >:(  I shall be hoping for bigger crops next year! :happy:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 09:26 »
With deeper raised beds that are less than 2 ft deep, I've found that using  2l soft drinks bottles buried to leave two inches sticking above the ground do the job well.

You can punch holes on them or just leave the top off --- werks fer me (and they are free  :D)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Chrysalis

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 20:12 »
With deeper raised beds that are less than 2 ft deep, I've found that using  2l soft drinks bottles buried to leave two inches sticking above the ground do the job well.

You can punch holes on them or just leave the top off --- werks fer me (and they are free  :D)
Yep!  Tried that this year with bottles and long spikes with drip holes, but not quite good enough  :(  off to get pipe soon,  c

xx
Gutted

Started by sheridal on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 10, 2008, 22:03
by corndolly
xx
I'm gutted

Started by Debsie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 20, 2010, 13:01
by Stevens706
xx
Gutted

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 03, 2011, 12:58
by 8doubles
xx
gutted :-(

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 10:16
by fekq

Page created in 0.372 seconds with 34 queries.