onions [overwintering]

• 2 Replies

rowlandwells

onions [overwintering]
« on: August 18, 2022, 09:33 »
I'm sowing  some onions to overwinter a Japanese [bulb] Element and a spring onion Guardsman according to seed catalogue sowing should be made on the third week of August

I usually sow my onions to overwinter in trays then pot on and leave them in the poly tunnel to overwinter then plant out in the spring but I'm considering planting them out in a frame down the allotments covering the frame with a poly sheet as the ones we grew last year didn't get the size but where still a good onion to use and matured quite early also Element [bulb] seems to have a good bolting tolerance as mentioned in the catalogue

so does anyone on site grow overwinter onions and if so what variety do you grow ?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: onions [overwintering]
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 09:53 »
In my experience the 'overwintering' types have never got as big as the 'ordinary' ones, and I've tried quite a few varieties, both in the ground, in pots in the g/house, in the soil under cold frame (years ago) etc.  :( So decided not to bother with them this year as they get in the way of my other spring sowings, anyway  ::)

I always do ok with overwintering spring onions, some grow in the greenhouse border, some outside in the garden. I've got Guardsman and the winter hardy version of White Lisbon to sow this year :)

rowlandwells

Re: onions [overwintering]
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 09:04 »
point taken Mum I will need to let you know how they perform overwinter and into spring  ;)

xx
overwintering spring onions and bulb onions

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 28, 2019, 19:10
by sunshineband
xx
overwintering onions

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 30, 2019, 08:56
by mdjlucan
xx
Overwintering onions

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 16, 2020, 01:51
by CHRISDONOHUE
xx
overwintering onions

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 05, 2021, 10:58
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 34 queries.