Surgery!

• 9 Replies

NormandyMary

Surgery!
« on: September 29, 2010, 17:50 »
This afternoon, I had no option but to operate on Monty's foot. I gave it a good bathe and could feel a lot of mobile puss and stuff, so I plucked up the courage to make a small incision to squeeze the gunk out.
It was all too much for OH so I had to hold Monty and do the necessary with one hand. He was such a good boy, Im sure he didnt feel a thing as I cut it. I got a lot of stuff out, but I think Ill have to re-open the cut tomorrow to drain some more.

I still cant believe I did it, I felt quite faint afterwards at the enormity of it all, but Im sure the vet wouldnt have done any better, though whe would have had 2 hands to work with!!

Now, where did I put that brandy bottle?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Surgery!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 17:58 »
Well done Mary,  a very difficult thing to pluck up the courage to do.  

It might be a good idea to get some antibiotics for him now to make sure the infection is killed off.  I'm not sure what the vet would prescribe - wound powder possibly.

PaulineM

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 19:10 »
Well done Mary  :)
Its amazing what knowledge and skills we pick up along the way when we have pets.
I remember when my kids had ponies having to inject one, the first time I was so nervous!
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 20:39 »
Congratulations - talk about undiscovered skills! I hope you found the brandy bottle!  I had to inject my cat with insulin because he became diabetic and never thought I would be able to hack it.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

NormandyMary

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 21:04 »
Well done Mary,  a very difficult thing to pluck up the courage to do.  

It might be a good idea to get some antibiotics for him now to make sure the infection is killed off.  I'm not sure what the vet would prescribe - wound powder possibly.
Fear not Aunt Sally. Monty has already been on antibiotics for 4 days, a powder which I put in his food, and I have antibiotic spray to apply directly to the wound. He certainly was chirpier in himself today, so I hope that relieving some of the pressure in his foot will help him further.
Honestly, what we do for these damned birds. Are they worth it? YOU BET THEY ARE!!!!!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 21:16 »
Well Monty has certainly had his share of TLC recently   :D  Well done Mary - your devotion to Monty is clear to see.  If he's got any sense he'll be milking the sore foot for a while so he is still allowed to sit on someone's lap watching TV in the house again :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 21:17 »
Well done Mary.  I hope with your treatment it will get better quickly :D

NormandyMary

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 15:48 »
Had to do Montys foot again 2 days ago, just to open up the cut that I had made and to extend it a bit to try and get some more gunge out. (apologies if you are eating whilst reading this!!) Im going to bathe it again today, and give it a good clear out. He knows now, that when I get the big blue bowl out that its his footbath time and he knows what's coming. I always follow it with a nice treat for him, apple or banana. I was hoping that he would be back with his girls by now, but he really does need a few more days of TLC. He is crowing left right and centre at all hours of the day and evening. I take that as a good sign that he is starting to feel a bit better.

evie2

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 15:58 »
Poor Monty, he deserves lots of treats :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

twissle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 20:48 »
Not shaw if this is any help, but year's ago my Dad used to put lard mixed with salt on his chicken's cut's. Havn't had to do it to any of our chuck's. but i did do it on my daulter's pony :). It draw's all the gunk out of the cut and help's with healing once all the puss has gone. Hope his foot's better soon

xx
Advice before the vet surgery opens :(

Started by jo1thompson on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2011, 16:47
by JaK
xx
emergency crop surgery....

Started by mickwood on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post May 16, 2009, 19:58
by Foxy
question
Surgery on chickens, is it legal?

Started by ADARLOW on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 07, 2010, 20:17
by karlooben

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 37 queries.