Wood chips for run - which ones and where can I buy them?

• 5 Replies

Dickie73

Hi,
I am a newbie poultry owner and still finding my feet. Our run is turning into a mud bath with all this rain and I've read that wood chips are a good thing to put down. I tried sand which just dissolved and straw which just got trodden into the mud.
I can't find wood chips anywhere. All the garden centres sell bark chips which I'm told are dangerous for the chooks.
Can anyone help me by suggesting where I can find woodchips (I live in Bedfordshire)? And what exactly should I be looking for? I saw some on Flyte of Fancy but they look expensive and delivery charges aren't cheap either.
Thanks in advance.
Louise

bantam novice

Re: Wood chips for run - which ones and where can I buy them?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 21:01 »
welcome to the forum!  I'm sure some of our more experienced people will be along to advise but just wanted to wish you luck.  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Fisherman

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 21:26 »
It was on an earlier post - 5 poundish for a 56L bag of play area bark from Q&B. Bought some today and the birds loved it although I am not sure how long it will last for but it's much better than the swamp. 5 bags covered about 5 square metres. The coop now has nice pine smelling chickens roosting tonight :lol:

Easibed sold at horse suppliers is another option I intend to try. Said to be better than bark!

roo5ter

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 22:06 »
Hi I have been looking at this site for nearly a year now and only just had something to say.  try your local recycling plant. you should be paying about £20 per tonne or £10 per bulk bag if you can collect yourself for wood chippings. I hope to have something to say before another year
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 22:13 by roo5ter »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 22:09 »
I've used bark chips for years.  As long as they are play grade they are fine no colouring is added to these.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 07:21 »
Hi I have been looking at this site for nearly a year now and only just had something to say.  try your local recycling plant. you should be paying about £20 per tonne or £10 per bulk bag if you can collect yourself for wood chippings. I hope to have something to say before another year

hello Roo5ter and welcome, please don't just lurk but join in you will be more than welcome  :).
Why not start a new thread in the chicken chat and tell us all about your birds and don't forget to include some photos  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
wood chips for floor or run?

Started by Under The Hill on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 09, 2014, 19:35
by Honey65
xx
Wood/Bark chips

Started by slowef on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2007, 21:11
by Aunt Sally
wireless
Which bark/wood chips for chickens

Started by SamT on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 23, 2010, 10:08
by evie2
xx
disposing of soiled wood chips from hen run

Started by joolie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 01, 2010, 20:23
by Chookiechook

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 34 queries.