Bedding

• 7 Replies

maggiem

Bedding
« on: September 18, 2010, 17:07 »
Has anyone used smartbedz universal litter in their henhouse and if so how good is it? Thanks, Maggie

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Bedding
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 17:15 »
Never used that one Maggie!  we use shavings generally, but have tried medibed that Joyfull gave me to try out.

carolbriar

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 20:35 »
No, never used or heard of that one.  We use dust free shavings which ours are very happy with.
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

evie2

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 21:34 »
Don't know that one, we've always used dust free shavings but have decided to try Bliss, made from oil seed rape stocks only because the shavings took longer to rot down.
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 07:57 »
Not heard of it, but will have a look, we use Aubiose which is hemp bedding much better than shavings no dust either, and it last ages.  I sprinkle some tea tree oil or citrus oil onto it, or spray it with water with either of these in to give it a nice smell.

maggiem

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 14:13 »
Thanks for all of your replies folks. I saw an advert for this litter on one of the other poultry sites and had never heard of it before but the testimonials all sounded like it was quite effective. I have never seen any kind of bedding sold here in Corfu. I use straw which I find rather dusty and in the past have also used sawdust ditto the dustiness(is this a word?!)
I am desperate to change the type of bedding in the coops and nestboxes but I don't want to pay a fortune (don't have one!!!) to have bedding transported out here then find it's not any better.
When using aubiose, Hemcore, Medibed etc how deep a layer is required and how long before you have to change it all? I'm thinking of the cost here-sorry. Thanks Maggie

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 17:54 »
I have about a 4 inch layer of hemcore (got it 'cos rots faster than shavings in compost heap). I poo pick under perches most days using a trowel and it needs replacing in coop every week - coop sleep area about 2.5x4 feet.
I got the bale of hemcore about 3 months ago (£10 ish) and I reckon it'll last another month so it's actually working out cheaper than the shavings and it's a lot more absorbant, sweeter-smelling and dustless.
What do Greeks use?

maggiem

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 18:25 »
The Greek henhouses that i've seen in are very basic. No doors, dirt floor and very small runs. My neighbour who lives in town sometimes only comes to see to his hens once a week. He would probably be horrified at the expense i go to with poultry sheild, acv, flubenvet etc!!! Not to mention me chatting to my boys and girls or giving them names. They think i'm soft in the head :D  However he was very impressed with the size of our eggs and the amount we get on a daily basis. It is not unusual to see someone in a car or on a scooter with a live upsidedown hen or cockerel, legs tied together on its way to the pot for that evenings dinner. Poultry keeping is a whole different world here. :(
I think I will look into having some hemcore or the like sent over. I have a hen just now who is a bit croaky possibly with the heat though as respiratory conditions can be a big problem here over the summer but i don't think that using straw helps either. Thanks, Maggie

xx
Bedding.

Started by NormandyMary on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 13, 2009, 13:45
by compostqueen
xx
Bedding

Started by SoniaBA on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 18:41
by SoniaBA
xx
bedding

Started by JOHNBOY44 on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post January 18, 2010, 12:26
by alabaster cheeks
xx
Bedding

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 29, 2008, 18:49
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 38 queries.