First ever parsnips - YAY

• 30 Replies

peanut

• Experienced Member
First ever parsnips - YAY
« on: December 05, 2009, 15:57 »
Having had a frost mid-week - and in anticipation of Christmas dinner - I lifted my first parsnip this afternoon.

Oh my god, how hard are they to get out?!?!?

I lifted what I thought was 1 plant - I had put seeds in clusters of 4, having been told probably only 1 will make it - I had all 4. a couple were small but 2 were a good 18" long and smelt divine.

I'm so happy,   and hungry.......and can't wait for Christmas.

It'll be our first full year in February - man I  love having an allotment! :D :D :D
Plot 11L Woodhall allotments, Chelmsford, Essex. 

It's against the law in Australia to fornicate with a kangaroo.................unless you are drunk!!!  Otherwise, it'd be disgusting :@

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: First ever parsnips - YAY
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 16:11 »
Congrats - here's to you enjoying many more  :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 16:22 »
My parsnips vanished!  ::)

They vanished from the seed trays, vanished from the paper-pots, vanished from deep-clay pots and didn't appear on the plot in the seed bed.

3 survivors were planted with great care on the plot - marked with short canes and watered.

And........ they vanished!

Congratulations on growing them at all!!
Enjoy!  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 16:36 »
I never have much luck germinating the flipping things either Learner. Gave up and tried Salsify a couple of years ago. That grows like weeds if you want an easy root crop  ;)

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 16:51 »
I never have much luck germinating the flipping things either Learner. Gave up and tried Salsify a couple of years ago. That grows like weeds if you want an easy root crop  ;)

Salsify - I am sure I have a packet or two in my seed box (given by a mate as they were passed the sell by date). Will it germinate from last year's seed? (I know parsnip rarely does)

I might give it a try as well as one more stab / sprinkle / sift and swear at parsnips next year.

The one year I did have a decent row of parsnips developing my dear sister decided she would pop down and help. I turned around to find she had 'weeded' leaving a lovely neat row of weeds and a pile of pulled up parsnips  >:( Bless her for helping (just the once!!!)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 16:58 »
Try a few on damp paper towel - they may be OK.  Sounds like you and parsnips are never meant to be  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 17:00 »
Good for you! I would kill my granny (if I had one) for parsnips - roasted in the oven with a melted butter glaze. I fancy trying them with added parmesan and / or some orange zest, or made into a soup with a bit of curry powder added. Yum Yum Yum - so says my tum!!!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 17:03 »
Try a few on damp paper towel - they may be OK.  Sounds like you and parsnips are never meant to be  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Thanks for the idea of paper-towel pre-germination... I've tried that oh so very patiently.

I think that method was responsible for the 3 I managed to germinate this year  :lol:

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 17:06 »
Good for you! I would kill my granny (if I had one) for parsnips - roasted in the oven with a melted butter glaze. I fancy trying them with added parmesan and / or some orange zest, or made into a soup with a bit of curry powder added. Yum Yum Yum - so says my tum!!!

Parsnip are wonderful - use a potato peeler to make some thin strips and drop them into hot oil (if you have a deep-fat-frier). Pull them out pretty DQ and you have the most delicious crisps... great to add to a roast dinner or as a nibble at parties (if you go in for that sort of thing!).

Such a shame my three parsnips vanished  :(

DavidT

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 19:57 »
In the ground, parsnips take about 14 days to germinate. They do not like being transplanted, so atarting in containers is risky. They should be sown, in the ground, about a 1/4" deep about 4" apart, Put 4 0r 5 seeds per station. When they germinate thin to 1 seedling per station. Easy. :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 00:13 »
In the ground, parsnips take about 14 days to germinate. They do not like being transplanted, so atarting in containers is risky. They should be sown, in the ground, about a 1/4" deep about 4" apart, Put 4 0r 5 seeds per station. When they germinate thin to 1 seedling per station. Easy. :D

Yes I thought that too until they didn't come up after 21 days and then 28 days and then.....

I resowed several times taking care to keep them watered and I didn't sow them too deeply..

Still waiting!  :(

Fisherman

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 05:31 »
Try sowing parsnip seeds called Gladiator. Like carrots they need good fine soil not freshly manured. Wait until the soil warms up in March / April before sowing and or cover with a cloche. Don't sow old seed its a waste of time as the germination rates are very poor. They also need to be sown direct as they hate transplanting. I sowed some at the end of April and the thinnings were good to eat at the end of August. Looks like the remaining crop will last into January.

lacewing

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 08:58 »
I agree with Fisherman, I used to follow the sowing times on the packet, with very poor germination results, until one year I was late sowing and did'nt get then in until late April. I had the best parsnips ever that year. I now have 80% germination every time, from late April sowing. It is also very important to use fresh seeds.
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 16:39 »
I second that - I sow late and they seem to germinate better. I have used unopened packets of seed and they germinate ok.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 17:22 »
I'd definitely go with the "use fresh seed and sow late" brigade, but I actually made an extra row this year from the thinnings and they grew just as well as those sown direct.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
parsnips

Started by bigsprouts on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 27, 2008, 11:02
by DD.
xx
My first parsnips

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 19, 2012, 10:56
by sarajane
xx
parsnips

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 06, 2020, 08:21
by jambop

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 40 queries.